Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I guess I going to show my ingnorance on this subject. I have a 350 from a 70 Nova that is being donated to me. I would like to have EFI. I have been looking into a LS1 converstion if I can find one at a good price.

The question is, can you put an EFI setup on the 350? What would be the pros and cons of building the 350 with EFI or going with a LS1?

Here is the info I got on the engine.
It has 9 1/2 to one compression
3/4 cam .488 lift 292 duration. It's a crane cam
Aluminum timing chain to replace the old plastic one
It's hooked up to a Borg warner t-5 transmission.
Has a brand new clutch system already in it for that tranny/motor combo.

That you all think?

·
Registered
302 Posts
i am no expert but i did this on my 67.first of all you can put fuel injection on that motor it has been done may times.in my opinion (many will disagree)fuel injection is more efficient and looks cool!!now there are several types of fuel injection, from throtle body to tuned port injection.tb is like a carb with 2(or 4)injectors sitting on top of the throttle body.tpi is a set of 8 injectors that shoot straight into the intake port.one thing to keep in mind with efi is the cam, most efi's like a cam with 110-112lsa.the ls1 is way more expensive in the end as opossed to a regualar old 350 with fuel injection.the ls1 is a completly different beast.this was recently disscused here,do a search on it.also i'm pretty sure that the trans u have won't bolt up to an ls1 without mod's.also with a custom efi engine u will either have to burn your own prom(stock ecm)or get aftermarket fuel injection setup,like accel or fast.these are some things to consider.i'm sure others will chime in on anything i missed.by the way i run accel dfi on my car,be prepared to spend some time tuning it especially if u never have done it before.good luck......

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
well, the LS1 is the future of GM hot rodding, so if you can swing it, why not get one of those? they really aren't that much harder to physically put in, and you will need all the same supporting fuel system upgrades no matter which way you go.
plus, they are lighter and just have way more power potential using the factory long block than that Nova engine.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of just putting in the 350 as it is until I could get a good deal on a LS1 with a T56 or 4L60E. I know I'd have to modify the drive shaft going from my powerglide to the T5. Would I have to modify the drive shaft again for the T56 or 4L60E change over?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is interesting that there is an EFI survey in the Performance section.
http://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimatebb.php/topic/4/9800.html

I'd like to learn more. Anyone have a rough idea on the cost of one of these setups? Players in the field? Holley, Accel, others? Has anyone done it and thoughts?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The LS1 stuff won't fit on an early 350. It's a completely different engine.

Holley makes some great efi setups, including a 4bbl TBI that you can't tell ain't a carb with the air cleaner on it (I had one of these once) a port injection setup based on a standard 4bbl manifold and air cleaner, and the "stealth" efi, which uses an extremely cool looking LT1 like manifold. All use the same commander 950 controller, and are easy to tune in the car with a laptop.

The tbi is like $1000-1500, the mpi & stealth are like $2500.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What if you could pick up a LS1 with belt driven accessories, starter, exhaust manifolds, MAF sensor, fuel injection, wiring harness and ECM with a T56 or 4L60e, complete from fuel injection to oil pan for $3000.00... Would it make more sense to go with the LS1?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you can get a good running LS1 with the transmission, wiring and computer for under $5K I'd be stunned. But yes, if you can get it that cheap then jump all over it. You will still need to dump a bit of change into getting it in the car and up and running right. The Holley Stealth Ram setup is probably one of the cooler setups but it you want an overdrive automatic trans, you might need a controller for it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I bought my LS1/4L60E for 3k. I don't see how you can go wrong. It cost more than that to build my 383/2004R. Although when done the 383/2004R drops right in without many mods. The LS1/4L60E would cost more in the conversion process.

I have both and for the camaro went with an old school engine with EFI. On the 35 since everything has to fabbed anyway the LS1/4L60E goes in there.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you think the cost would be after a purchase like this to complete the conversion?

I think I'm going with the 350 for now and try to pick up an LS1 later

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3-4k total or above the engine/trans purchase like listed on Ebay?

I was think about 500-1000 additional stuff needed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts