Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current set up has the Holley Terminator TB so close to the inside of the 2" Cowl hood, that the air filter rubs on the inside of the hood. Since I'm prepping the car for paint, I'm thinking about either the original SS hood for my car - (it is an X66 coded 396SS), or a Stinger hood.

Here is my problem; The only way I see to get the height of the air filter lower is to use a different intake manifold. But since my EFI has learned, and I currently have an Air Gap manifold, will a lower intake screw up my whole EFI setup? And, I'm not sure if it will get low enough to go with the original SS hood. I would hate to purchase a hood and after dropping more $$ on the intake, find out all my efforts are for nothing if the SS hood doesn't clear.
I guess I can measure the current throttle body and compare it to the Holley I pulled off, then I should be able to go by the height of the intakes to tell how much height I'll be dropping. I can also go with a drop base air filter.
Anyone have any similar set ups to verify whether it will or will not clear?
Thanks,
Brett....

·
14,305 Posts
Looks like you have a pretty tall air filter set up. Easy to use a shorter filter.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
985 Posts
Brett... This picture's from a few years ago, but I was running a 3" filter on top of the Holley double pumper which sits on an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake. After I raised the engine 1/8" with Moroso motor mount shims (new Headers) the screw was just touching the inner side of the cowl hood so I switched to a 2" filter no problems. But like others have said, you need the drop down lower part of the filter tray. Don't know if that filter size you're using has a drop-down version... you may have to buy a new filter setup. I'm sure there are benefits to one style of intake over another, but if your just street cruising, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with a lower manifold. If you want measurements, I'd be happy to take some and send them to you.-Mike

IMG_5806.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Air Gap I have now is 5.22" high. It appears I will need to drop it 2.5" to get close to using a SS hood. The Edelbrock Torquer II is 3.82" high, so if I can get a 1" drop base air filter, that just might do it. I still have my 14" air filter with drop base, so I put it on and put a tape measure on ti the distance of if i had a Torquer II manifold on. It is very close. I think this has given me enough information to purchase an SS hood.
Brett....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
some clay is helpful to measure space between air cleaner & hood...then measure the length of clay after closing hood.

The Edelbrock Performer intake is good to 5000 RPM while their Air Gap is 6k rpm...so consider how high you spin your motor when considering a intake

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that the dual plane intake was not the optimum choice for EFI, but I am now learning the it is the single plane that restricts the low end torque. If my dual plane air gap is the best choice for my EFI, then I think I will just leave it as is. I don't want to go backwards with the drivability.
Brett....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts