Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my holley electric fuel pump will shut off when I`m driving at times.I have a switch under the dash to shut the fuel off,only when the car is unattended.also when I shut the switch off while the car is running,and then go to shut the ignition switch off the car wont shut off. I have to shut the the engine off first then the fuel pump.what could it be?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump might be tied into the wrong circuit. see if you can power it from another source then see what happens.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I hope you're using an oil pressure cut-off switch on your fuel pump. I know of someone who burned to death because when he wrecked the fuel pump kept running after the car caught fire. Go fast but be safe.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1 2RUN:
I hope you're using an oil pressure cut-off switch on your fuel pump. I know of someone who burned to death because when he wrecked the fuel pump kept running after the car caught fire. Go fast but be safe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand the need for this, but why don't new EFI cars come with something similar? My friend has a 95 Z28 and when you turn the key forward (but not yet to start position) you can hear the pump pressurize the fuel line.

-gw

·
Registered
707 Posts
warren they do. What you hear in the computer priming the lines for 2-5 seconds and shuts off till it sees 4-500 cranking rpm . Then the pump comes on.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
New cars will also have a shut off switch that engages when there is a hard shock, like in impact. The manual will show you where that switch is, since it can be shut off by a large pothole.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts