Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a carter competition series 650 cfm carborator with an electric choke, currently its not hooked up and there is no wiring present. can some one tell me how an electric choke works and how to hook it up.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The choke works by powering a heating element which heats/winds a spring. This spring is connected to your choke rod.

You'll have to hook up 1 terminal to a ground and the other to a switched 12 volt supply (ignition).

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 11/7/00)

P

·
0 Posts
I have the same carb for my 69. What do you mean by switched, do I hook it up to the ignition switch or a separate manual switch.

Thanks Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Never mind the previous question, I guess I should read everything more carefully before I post a reply.

oops

·
Registered
407 Posts
Someone please correct me if I give wrong advise here as I am going from memory. On the choke housing, you will see +/- listed next to each of the terminals. You will want to run a very short wire (4-6 inches) from the negative terminal to a ground. Most I have seen are grounded or attached under one of the screws on the carb body. The positive wire is much longer and I have seen recommendations that you connect this wire to the wire that powers the windshield wiper motor for a couple of reasons. This power source supplies the right amount of volts to make the choke work properly, and it turns on and off with the ignition key. Once connected, you will know it's working in a matter of 1-2 minutes as the housing will get very hot to the touch! And obviously, you will see the choke butterfly start to open.

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 11-17-2000).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
It'll work better if you connect it to a 12-volt feed - it's only getting 5 volts from the coil, as the resistance wire cuts coil feed voltage except in the "start" position. The bi-metallic element in the choke needs 12 volts to heat up enough to fully unwind (and fully open the choke blade).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 7 of 7 Posts