Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my taurus fan in and have a dc control fk35. I am wanting to run my 12v direct from the battery. Can I use an in line 30amp fuse near the battery and then run a 30amp toggle switch to supply power to the fk35?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why are you installing a switch to the controller?

I'd say 30 A should be fine, since you won't have to deal with much inrush current.

Any time you are running a switch for a high current application it is a very good idea to use a relay. Especially if the switch is inside the vehicle. It is a matter of fire safety.

If you want to be able to turn the fan on or off manually I'd wire into the temp. sender side instead. This way you are only dealing with the low power circuit.

Here's a guy who does a not of work with those controllers and should be able to answer any of your questions: gmachinz (I tried linking to his profile, guess it didn't work.)
Anyway, he's a member here and on at least one other forum I'm on. Very helpful. He's got a business working with these and now an eBay store, but don't let that bother you. He's not scum just trying to make money off us.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Absolutely run your manual fan switch through a relay. You do not want 20 amps going through a switch. You want to control the 12v signal to the relay. Go to BeCool site and download there installation directions. They show you how to do it. If you can't find it, email me and I can send it to you. I have it installed in my car and it works great. My fans pull 20 amps each and are fused seperately to the battery junction block. I believe they have a 25 or 30 amp fuse. I can check if you need the info.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I wanted a switch was so the fan doesn't stay on after I shut the car down. I don't want the fan to run for 15min and drain on my battery. I'll use a relay and switch.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
you can wire the relay so the fan won't run when you shut the engine down.

Just use "ignition" switched power for the power to the relay coil (Still use battery power for the load power source.). No switch needed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I'll do no switch but a relay with an ign or acc hook up. Where can I get a relay?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

cmking26 said:
Thats what I'll do no switch but a relay with an ign or acc hook up. Where can I get a relay?
If you're using the FK35 fan control, you don't need any relays. If you want the fan to shut off when you turn the ignition off, just hook the yellow wire to a switched source, like the ACC tab on your fusebox. You'll want to put a fusible link in the battery lead.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup I'm using fk35. Sounds good just hook yellow up to acc or ign and use fusible link at battery. Good to know THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts