Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my '67 coupe with a small block from a small flex fan to an electric fan and wanted to know shoud I continue to use the fan shroud with with electric fan?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Why convert it? Nothing will do a better job than the original stock fan, clutch, and shroud....

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the original stock clutch fan. The car came with a 15in flex fan that moves no air. I had the electric fan and wanted to give it a try. Any idea on how big the original fan was? 18 inch?

So the fan shroud doesn't help an electric fan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've tried a few electric fans. In new mexico's winters I had to run one alone or the engine didn't warm up no matter what I did. Here in vegas, even a big one I tried would not keep it cool in traffic with the air on. my 18" flex pulls a LOT of air, too much on the higway, dragging me down. Keeps it nice and cool, though. I'm looking into another flex with a clutch, I want the power that I had not turning the fan at high speeds. Its a big load on the highway, and there is a noticable difference in power with the flex fan off and an electric fan installed. Hopefully a fan clutch will pull alot of air at idle. I guess it just depends on how hot it gets where you are. I wont go back to electric.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i am using an electric fan off an 86 buick somerset 4 cyl with a 6 cyl nova radiator on my approx 400 hp 355 in my nova, and during 100 degree heat this summer it never went over 200 degrees. if you get a good fan, mount it right ,and wire it right(relay), it will be good. this winter i am getting a thermal switch of some kind for it- now it is always on with the engine.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts