Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In todays episode of I suck at wiring part 3 - We have a new high output fan install.

I have an idea of how to wire these new Derale 11” 36 amp combined electric fans, but I’m not sure if the charging system and wiring are quite right. I’m not sure what amp my starter is but I think it’s at least 100amp.

The 8 awg from the starter that runs to a splice to two 12awg wires, one going to the 1-wire alternator and 1 going to the headlight relay (40amp) and horn. I plan on changing the 8 awg to 6 for both the starter to splice and the alt to starter wire and leave the horn and relay #3 (headlights) at 12 awg. Then wire the two 40 amp relays from the fans straight to the positive terminal on the starter. Id run the two relays straight to the battery but it’s in the trunk.

Does this sound about right or am I missing something here? Attached some pictures for reference. Thanks!
Handwriting Rectangle Schematic Font Material property

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Helmet Shoe Automotive tire Headgear Bicycle tire

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Machine Engineering

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
203 Posts
FWIW, consider adding Trinary Switch in case you add A/C (can't tell if you have it now), to turn on one/both fans when A/C is turned on. I have a single fan & installed trinary to turn it on when I toggle A/C on.
Agree, but I'd also add a toggle switch to manually override at any time. Very easy to do. Just run a ground to a toggle switch and run a wire from the toggle switch to #86 on the fan relay or relays.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,001 Posts
If you haven't settled on the Relay approach, you might look into the Norther Radiator PWM designed and engineered by one of our own, Carl Casanova. Very simple to wire, and works fine with single or dual fans. Slow, soft start so as to not overload your electrical system. Here's the instructions: PWM Wiring Instructions

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
94 Posts
I had the same issue when I ordered an aluminum radiator with shroud and fans. It came with 1 relay, no instructions.
After studying the wiring diagram similar to the one above I got it.

If you wanted to source the 12v in from your starter wire, that is just the same as connecting it the battery directly really since it's already large heavy gauge wire connected directly to the battery even if it is 14ft away you already have a heavy gauge wire that's made the journey.

In the chevelle I just added this two, there was a power distribution terminal near the battery on the core support. I tied in there.

Now for some reason it seems fairly simple.

This is how I remember what does what.
Product Font Slope Parallel Auto part

·
Super Moderator
33,663 Posts
Why not use the battery junction block between rad and battery for one fan power and horn relay buss bar for the other fan power?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Got it fired up and everything seems good. My peak temps dropped by nearly 30 degrees at idle! I did also change the coolant ratio to 80/20. I just went with a manual switch for now since i didn't trust the cheap coolant temp sensor the relay kit came with and i wanted to avoid higher starting load by switching the fans on after the engine is running. Would like to get some kind of indicator light telling me if my fan is on though as i can barely hear it at idle for some peace of mind. I routed the two fan relay fused power wires to the terminal on the starter. Replaced the starter to power junction box and power box to alternator 1 -wire with 4 guage (had 8/12 on it originally). Didn't blow any fuses. There was one pop followed by a little smoke from i think my alternator at one point so im going to replace it with a higher amp one just to be safe. (Checked all the wiring and didn't see any damage/shorts.) Thanks for the advice guys, now on to figuring out why the clutch wont go into gear and i can call this thing done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same issue when I ordered an aluminum radiator with shroud and fans. It came with 1 relay, no instructions.
After studying the wiring diagram similar to the one above I got it.

If you wanted to source the 12v in from your starter wire, that is just the same as connecting it the battery directly really since it's already large heavy gauge wire connected directly to the battery even if it is 14ft away you already have a heavy gauge wire that's made the journey.

In the chevelle I just added this two, there was a power distribution terminal near the battery on the core support. I tied in there.

Now for some reason it seems fairly simple.

This is how I remember what does what.
View attachment 293633
This is pretty much what i did except i just did a manual switch on pin 86. However, the fans are 18.6 amp each and they came from factory with 14 gauge which i left alone but i did run 12 guage from the relay pin 87 to the starter terminal. Orange is spliced into the electric choke and wiper motor power line.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Update:

Got it fired up and everything seems good. My peak temps dropped by nearly 30 degrees at idle! I did also change the coolant ratio to 80/20. I just went with a manual switch for now since i didn't trust the cheap coolant temp sensor the relay kit came with and i wanted to avoid higher starting load by switching the fans on after the engine is running. Would like to get some kind of indicator light telling me if my fan is on though as i can barely hear it at idle for some peace of mind. I routed the two fan relay fused power wires to the terminal on the starter. Replaced the starter to power junction box and power box to alternator 1 -wire with 4 guage (had 8/12 on it originally). Didn't blow any fuses. There was one pop followed by a little smoke from i think my alternator at one point so im going to replace it with a higher amp one just to be safe. (Checked all the wiring and didn't see any damage/shorts.) Thanks for the advice guys, now on to figuring out why the clutch wont go into gear and i can call this thing done.
Is that 80% coolant or water? Either way, that’s going to be an issue and I suggest you go back to 50/50. I’m quite sure the engineers at the big 3 all wanted 50/50 for a reason. They still do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that 80% coolant or water? Either way, that’s going to be an issue and I suggest you go back to 50/50. I’m quite sure the engineers at the big 3 all wanted 50/50 for a reason. They still do.
80% distilled water. It never goes below 60 degrees here most the year. I have a bottle of coolant additive in it as well. When it does get colder closer to winter I do plan to go back to 50/50.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
80% distilled water. It never goes below 60 degrees here most the year. I have a bottle of coolant additive in it as well. When it does get colder closer to winter I do plan to go back to 50/50.
the 50/50 is to control corrosion in the system and lubricate the water pump seals too (at least old style pumps).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts