Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 SS396 that is in the final stage of a complete (10 yrs in the making
restoration. The question I have is if it would be wise to run an electric fan as opposed to the original one. My preference is to keep this as original as possible, yet if it is of benefit to the car (cooler, less drag on the motor, etc) then I can change my preference. If it matters little than I'll stay stock. My only experience with this is on my 93 Z28 which has quite a few after market performance bolt ons. This car can run a little hot for my taste when stuck in the common Calif traffic
despite an aluminum radiator, dual electric fans (one turns on with ignition, other I control when to use it). Any suggestions??

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Unless you want the "look" run the stock or stock style water pump, t-stat, fan/clutch and radiator. It works well for old school and an all stock car looks out of place with elec fans and an alum rad. Nothing wrong with modern thinking though, but if money is an issue old school is also your best option.
If you BB car is running hot in traffic it sounds like an air flow issue and that equates to shroud, and fan usually. Also could be an ignition timing problem.. Welcome to TC, by the way do you have a name?

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

G

·
Hey Dennis…. Aren’t you MARRIED…..
Calligril… How about runing some good antifreeze and maybe some Water Wetter.
This may help.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I still dont believe that anything will out cool a HD ACDelco clutch and fan with a stock shroud.

I have screwed around with stuffing Big Blocks and BIG fans into daily drivers, and have tried just about every combination and the one thing works the best is a 22075085 ACDelco clutch and an aftermarket Derale 17118 fan with a stock shroud.
http://www.derale.com/fanclutchfans.shtml

This with an aluminum radiator, straight deionized water and a bottle or two of water wetter. If your car never sees freezing temperatures, then why use antifreeze? To up the pressure and raise the boiling point right? Yeah whatever, if you can keep it cool you dont need to create 18psi to help you out. Nothing cools better than straight deionized H20 and water wetter...with the exception of Evans waterless coolant (Non-Aqueous Propylene Glycol).
http://www.evanscooling.com/main31.htm

The only electric fan that I would even consider is actually from Ford. It was used on the 96 and later Lincon Mark VIII.....this is a two speed fan and pulls over 5200 CFM. Let's see anyone else make that claim. The best thing is that this fan is available at any Ford dealer and cost is about $165.00, with retail comming in about $200-220. I have used this fan in my hardest to cool, tight fit buildups....and EVERYTHING that I do that goes off road.

Hope this helps......

Oh yeah, it maybe less drag on the engine mechanically with an electric fan, but it doubles the load electrically which can cause more problems than you want....

[This message has been edited by chicane67 (edited 01-17-2003).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts