Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my car home for lunch and the fans worked fine..went to drive back to work and noticed the voltage was 1/2 - 1 volt higher than normal. Sure enough the fans aren't turning on.

Checked the fuse and tried swapping it just in case. Was going to try and swap the switch and then the relay? All the wiring looks solid, worked perfect for 2 1/2 years then just quit.

Any ideas of things I could check?

Thanks for pointers,

Donnie

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
How is it wired, toggle switch to relay? Is there a temp switch or just a toggle? If the fuse is ok it's probably the relay, a problem with electric fans is using an undersized relay and it will burn out. The relay needs to be rated to handle the load.
Could be the fan motor but I doubt it, could be a ground, only way to know is trace voltage to the point it stops.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I'll swap the relay. That's probably it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it was the relay. I had hosed off the engine earlier today...the wiring connector right at the relay was actually melted and the wiring connector was burned pretty good.

Wondering if I have an issue or if it was just the water causing it to short out and burn like that?

The fans do work fine even hooked up through the connectors that are a little burned up.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Resistance kills wiring and connectors, the connector could have had a bad connection and heat will be created by that, which may be what you saw. Or the relay just failed.
Make sure your relay can support the load it's switching though, or it will fail.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I'm reading "fans" plural and "relay" singular. Might want to run each fan on its own relay. For one you cut the load on each relay and associated wiring, for another if you lose a relay you can still run one fan.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good call Steiner. I'll add another relay here soon. Have been running a 40 amp for the last 2-3 years with no problems but I like the idea of having an "extra" relay in case one goes out like you're saying

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I'm reading "fans" plural and "relay" singular. Might want to run each fan on its own relay. For one you cut the load on each relay and associated wiring, for another if you lose a relay you can still run one fan.
Ditto, that's why I was wondering how it was wired. Maybe the fan(s) you have are low amp draw, I don't know, but if it's two fans the easiest solution is two relays. I would put them on a T stat with a manual over ride on one or both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts