Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need new water temp and oil pressure gauges - which design is better? I have mechanical ones now. Any advice on pros and cons?

·
Retired
16,017 Posts
Mechanical? Is that where you stick your finger in the radiator cap to check warmth?

Cant help ya on the one jeff, not even sure mine are accurate.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Click- you ready for July 10th at the track? No excuses this time, big guy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i was watchin popular hotrodding tv on tnn and they had this segment on the 2 different types of gauges. mechanical there were using an example with the oil gauge and it sends oil up to the gauge and thats how it reads it right up to the dash, but they are dangerous they were saying that sometimes oil could actually spray through the cracks of the gauge into the drivers face. electrical just sends a signal to the gauge and they are much easier to read. it will give you exactly 4700 rpm or something instead of looking at the mechancial gauge and sort of guessing on say a tach. i stick with mechanical to keep the car looking old fashioned. there were some other stuff thery said if i think of it ill post it.

mitch
z

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just looking onthe Autometer site and they say that they have a new line of full-sweep electric gauges. Only, they don't have them in the style I need!

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
yeah I agree about the full sweep. I got Autometer electrical and the pic in the catalog showed a full sweep. I was aggravated when I got them but put them in anyway. So far I like them fine. Some day I plan to get a console and the 4 gauge pod to put them in.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have had trouble with electric senders on oil pressure giving false readings, so I went back to the mechanical oil pressure gage... but for safety they offer a #4 braided stainless steel line to run from the gage to the engine- and it is manditory with NHRA too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think I saw the same PHRTV episode that mitchcocamaro was talking about and they mentioned there are "adapters" for mech that you mount to the fire-wall and run the line to. Then, the "adapter" sends pressure from another fluid, not sure what they are using, to the gauge. This gives a mechanical reading but keeps the interior safe.

Sounds good to me!

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 06-25-2002).]

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camaro-69ss:
I was just looking onthe Autometer site and they say that they have a new line of full-sweep electric gauges. Only, they don't have them in the style I need!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked, couldn't find them. Any direct link?

I take that back, the only full sweep I could find were Nitrous and Boost, of which I have neither. Just a simple Oil and Water full sweep electrical would be nice.

-Funk

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 06-25-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
There are pros & cons to running each kind.
Mechanical oil gauge is what I use, Sun makes a 270 deg sweep oil pressure gauge.

I run an electric water temp. the reason being, if it were mechanical, one would have to drill a large hole for the threaded fitting of the Bourdon tube to fit through the firewall. Plus, secondly, if you ever overheat your engine greatly, as in peg the meter hot, the gauge is broke.

If I want to know the temp of engine is when I have the hood open, I look at the thermometer I have installed on the crossover of the manifold. You can buy the two-inch dia dial with a short 1 1/2 inch probe from the local A/C supplier, has 3/8 NPT. Works great!

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts