Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there is debates about electric fan vs engine driven fan for the radiator. I am seriously considering going to an electric fan for my pro-turing 69

What are the positives and negatives folks have discovered?

Thanks in advance

·
14,267 Posts
What engine? If LS Electric is only option.

For others clutch fan is fine with the proper shroud. I personally like dual electric fans staged on off with a Dakota Digital fan control

Reactions: pwentz3l

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a SBC
430 HP

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I am not going to try to persuade you in any direction, but I tried 2 10" fans with the shroud designed for the radiator and it would not cool my 540 horse 383. with new 3 core radiator and water pump> just saying!
some do not consider hot until the engine reaches 295-300*.
I am not o ne of them.
I have never seen a head gasket blow because the engine was to cold
as far as the oil I put less than 1800 miles per year and then change oil

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I realize electric fans did not work for you.
But that is an anomaly for sure since they work flawlessly in many many high horsepower applications and all new vihicles including trucks.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
please tell me what I did wrong that it would not cool.
soon as I replaced the electric fans with a belt driven and stock shroud and traveled the same route the engine never went above 180*
no that is not to cold

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I have a single 16" electric 3 speed fan and it keeps my 572 BB right around 200 or a tad less on a hot day. Will creep upto 210 when in stop and go traffic

Reactions: H20cooled

·
14,267 Posts
please tell me what I did wrong that it would not cool.
soon as I replaced the electric fans with a belt driven and stock shroud and traveled the same route the engine never went above 180*
no that is not to cold
Either your fans were not moving enough CFM or the shroud was some way affecting air flow.

Bottom line is if you get enough air through the radiator it's going to work the same whether the fans are mechanical or electric. The radiator doesn't know the difference.

I've run electrics in lot of HP builds. SBC, BBC, LS and blown without cooling issues in crazy hot Vegas.

I've alo run mechanicals without any issues except overheating at idle in traffic

Reactions: 57vette

·
19,897 Posts
My twins are 12" I think ? and cooling is not an issue.....I ended up with a Meziere electric pump since I kept throwing belt at 7500+...with the fan controller (Davies Craig) cycling the fans on/off....it's great.

My fans look like....(forget the brand)

·
14,267 Posts
My twins are 12" I think ? and cooling is not an issue.....I ended up with a Meziere electric pump since I kept throwing belt at 7500+...with the fan controller (Davies Craig) cycling the fans on/off....it's great.

Look like Spal or Spal Knock Offs.

The nice thing about electric WP is you get full coolant flow at idle. I ran one in my 2004 Vette with the Magnuson Blower and kept it cool in 110* heat running ac even in stop and go traffic.

·
19,897 Posts
35 GPM, no restrictor or T-stat and trouble getting to temp sometimes....175* setpoint.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
My Entropy rad w electric fans is a work of art. Having said that, I would just install the belt driven fan on your particular set-up and be done with it. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Really happy with my stock fan, shroud and clutch. Runs cool, even in hot (for Canada) weather and in traffic. Running with an aluminum radiator. This is on the original 350 engine.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Some folks don’t recognize that the more horsepower produced, the more heat produced. Further aggravating the situation is the fact that generally speaking the more horsepower produced the less efficient the engine which further increase the heat produced. The more heat you produce the more air you will need to push across the radiator...

Don

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a pair of 12" Spal's and a Meziere wp that have no problem cooling my 800hp 425ci BBC, I am also running E85 which helps. I don't have an option to run a factory fan.

If you can run what your car came with from the factory and it cools it, keep it. Too often folks succumb to the "wank factor" and they end up worse off and poorer.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I have a 602 hp 383 small block and use a GM 6 blade steel fan, which keeps it cool with no problem, even if stuck idling in 85 degree weather for 20 minutes or more. It will creep up to 210 or so under those conditions, otherwise it runs 185 all the time and I'm hard on it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am not going to try to persuade you in any direction, but I tried 2 10" fans with the shroud designed for the radiator and it would not cool my 540 horse 383. with new 3 core radiator and water pump> just saying!
some do not consider hot until the engine reaches 295-300*.
I am not o ne of them.
I have never seen a head gasket blow because the engine was to cold
as far as the oil I put less than 1800 miles per year and then change oil

This is just my opinion but look at those 2 fan/shroud set ups and tell me what you see. On Flat tires setup you are directing all air through two small holes where the fans are, effectively making your radiator smaller.

On Doug's setup, those Spal fans are a. larger and b. the shroud has those rubber flaps that open when you drive giving you full use of your entire radiator surface area.

I have the same fans Doug has and those things move so much air on high speed that you can hold your hand a foot or so in front of the grill and feel the massive amounts of air pulling in. CFM makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
This is just my opinion but look at those 2 fan/shroud set ups and tell me what you see. On Flat tires setup you are directing all air through two small holes where the fans are, effectively making your radiator smaller.

On Doug's setup, those Spal fans are a. larger and b. the shroud has those rubber flaps that open when you drive giving you full use of your entire radiator surface area.

I have the same fans Doug has and those things move so much air on high speed that you can hold your hand a foot or so in front of the grill and feel the massive amounts of air pulling in. CFM makes a huge difference.
that was the set up that came with the radiator and I was told it would work
I added the orange flaps to let more air in as I was driving . no help

1 - 20 of 25 Posts