Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is have any of you guys gals ran the VSS converter "if that's what it's called" at the firewall then from there the regular cable to the tranny? If I have this all wrong in my assessment let me know. I have the classic update AAW harness and will be running Speed Hut guages TH350 tranny.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
Not that I have ever used one of these - don't they attach at the transmission then wire up to the digital gauge? So no speedo cable needed?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I have ever used one of these - don't they attach at the transmission then wire up to the digital gauge? So no speedo cable needed?
That's what I was kind of stumped on Brian. I did a search but no results here. Figured maybe somebody here had done this before.
I may try the GPS speedo out as well.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
You should be able to use something like this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=109/prd109.htm

I was going to do something similar when I had the old Saginaw and electronic speedo. I ended up using a GPS sender instead, but the issue with that was I would drop the speedo signal whenever I was in a tunnel, and there are several tunnels here in Boston. There is also some lag time with the GPS sender, it's not instantaneous.

·
14,470 Posts
I just sold a box that runs VSS to drive a motor that runs a cable speedo.

They work very well

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jon, my question is if your running Speedhut gauges (which are the best Ive ever used by the way) are you not going with GPS and ditching the need to connect to the tranny altogether ??
I didn't notice any lag with my Speedhut speedo

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon, my question is if your running Speedhut gauges (which are the best Ive ever used by the way) are you not going with GPS and ditching the need to connect to the tranny altogether ??
I didn't notice any lag with my Speedhut speedo
That's a good point you and Brent have made together Steve. I just didn't know anything about the GPS stuff and how they worked for anyone else. How did you guys mount the GPS puck? Got any photos of your install? And does yours lag any like Brent describes his doing? And if you don't mind me asking which did you wind up going with the legacy etc..??

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,662 Posts
Jonathon, I would second the GPS speedo signal option. Less wiring to run outside the body (to and from trans) and if you ever decide to change your trans to a overdrive (or any other one) it will be one less thing to deal with. Either way, I would call Speedhut and see what pulse their speedos require. Nice looking car!

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
The lag time is only noticeable when accelerating hard. The GPS signal averages your speed over a given distance/time, so under normal driving it's not an issue. But it's a fairly common complaint under hard acceleration.

If you don't have tunnels or tall city buildings you'll be fine. In Boston we have both. If you have ever used GPS to get somewhere and it drops the signal or "misplaces" you on a map, then your GPS speedo would have dropped too. I had a Boston cop follow me through a 3+ mile long tunnel with no speedometer reading and I came out the other side doing about 10mph under the limit!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonathon, I would second the GPS speedo signal option. Less wiring to run outside the body (to and from trans) and if you ever decide to change your trans to a overdrive (or any other one) it will be one less thing to deal with. Either way, I would call Speedhut and see what pulse their speedos require. Nice looking car!
Thanks for the info Chris, I've got to figure out where to mount the puck to where it's not too noticeable if I go that route. Definitely the best way none the less without all the wiring headaches outside the cabin and back. Thanks again

The lag time is only noticeable when accelerating hard. The GPS signal averages your speed over a given distance/time, so under normal driving it's not an issue. But it's a fairly common complaint under hard acceleration.

If you don't have tunnels or tall city buildings you'll be fine. In Boston we have both. If you have ever used GPS to get somewhere and it drops the signal or "misplaces" you on a map, then your GPS speedo would have dropped too. I had a Boston cop follow me through a 3+ mile long tunnel with no speedometer reading and I came out the other side doing about 10mph under the limit!
No big buildings here Brent. But good info to think about. I see the jump you describe in my boats GPS when taken to a hard acceleration. It will skip or round up until it catches up. I assume the pointer don't just jump to that speed? It just swings as fast as the gauge will let it up to the speed being ran?
Great info guys for sure...:beers:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I notice the GPS lag getting on the highway. Another issue is I have gone as far as three miles before it aquires a signal after starting the car. Not always that far but 1/2 mile is pretty common.

·
14,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
shouldn't speeding tickets be a complaint under hard acceleration?:thumbsup:
Technically I think they get you for exhibition of speed. You don't even have to break the speed limit for that, you just need to be having fun.:sad:

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get your gauge face proofs yet?
Not yet, my order is in the art department and has not been started as of yesterday. But they are supposed to send me a proof when they get it to production stage. I hope they turn out as good as the build demo looks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts