Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question concerning the power steering pump. Heard drag racers disconnect this belt to gain up to 20 HP when drag racing and then reconnect on ride home. Question is does any one make an electrical power steering pump? I know chevy and the like are making them for newer cars but does anyone make one for the first gen camaros or know of a system that will work for one? Would be nice to have the best of both worlds and free up HP while still having the benefit of power steering.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
thought never crossed my mind before, but that is a cool idea! If there is such a thing... I'd look into one.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Just think about it. If they are gaining 20HP it would stand to reason that you would need a 20HP electric motor to turn the pump. Acutally I doubt it's 20HP, but it is still a heck of a lot. Probably isn't practical to put an electric motor on it. Power steering pumps take a lot of power to turn for sure. Electric water pump motors by comparison are a fraction of a HP. It might be interesting to see if an electric clutch from an AC compressor could be retrofitted to a PS pump though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw a 12 v motor in jEGS that will run your waterpump electrically. It is a 12 v motor and will turn it at 1500 RPMS Is this strong enough to be retro fitted and used for a power steering pump? I thought I heard that maximum rpms to run a power steering pump was 900? Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts