Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using an electric water pump for my blown 350SB(B&M 144) ZZ4 engine in a '69Z. This is not my daily driver but a fun car used for cruise nights. Anyone have opinions on the CSI or Meziere units. How does one attach the alternator without the stock type of water pump? I'm not doing this for performance but just because I think they look great. I live in the midwest so need cooling for those hot humid summer nights. I'm also envious of those who live in a warm climate and can run their cars all year long. Chicago has 18" of snow on the ground. Thanx for any help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you use an electric water pump I am pretty sure you will need to either buy a low mount bracket, maybe March makes one. If not you may need to run the alternator off the driveshaft, I have seen some of these on race cars and street rods. I personally would not run an electric water pump unless you can move the alternator to a lower position, it would look awkward otherwise. Good luck.

Steve R.

·
10,142 Posts
Stewart has just come out with a super electric pump. It's an inline type does not bolt to the block.
They had it at SEMA.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
You will also find that the electric pumps are inadequate for street use - they don't flow anywhere near the same gpm as stock water pumps. They're great on the return road and in the staging lanes, but I've never seen one that would support a full cooling system for street use.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
Mezziere has an electric pump that flows 52 gallons per MINUTE; not sure how that compares to a stock-type pump but it kept my Cobra replica with a supercharged 406 below 190 at all times. I live in Sacramento so it gets above 100 degrees.

They offer a bolt on like stock and a remote mount which is what I used. Their standard street model flows 35 gpm.

Jody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts