Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever experienced electrial arching inside the rotor cap of an H.E.I. distributor. I think this arching is burning out my control modular, could it be possible that I am getting too many volts to the coil, that is mounted on top of the distributor. How many volts should there be going to the coil? (when at idle?) could this be the result of the engine not being grounded properly?, if so how and where are the best places to ground it? Any advice would help. Chris, 350 crate motor in 68 SS.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Yes, HEI's love to arc inside, that's why they made the cap soo big!! Often, they burn through the bottom of the rotor, and toast the module or the mech. advance. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance, which should be to the plugs. Could be bad wires, or bad plugs, or too much plug gap. gap em at .040, and I like spiral wound wires, good radio supression without high resistance. If there's any carbon inside the cap or on the rotor, replace em, even if they're brand new. Don't forget to change the little carbon button that brings power from the coil to the rotor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts