Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start the car, the dash lights will flicker a little. Once the car is actually running, the lights no longer flicker. I have not looked at the ground wire, alternator, or voltage regulator yet.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Might reach up to the Headlamp switch knob and twist the bejesus out of it. Rheostats get burn spots on them from setting in one place for a length of time.

If headlights are doing the same flicking, then you might want to replace the mechanic voltage regulator with an electronic one, Wells P/N VR715.

All this info applies to a 1st gen and 2nd Gen up to 1973; they went to internal reg'd alternators in 1974. You didn't mention year, but I assume its a '68 by your user name.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i will twist the headlight switch knob and hope that works.

If it does not, how about if i replace with an "original reproduction voltage regulator" ? would that be the same thing? electrical stuff drives me nuts.

tks for the help

TR

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Look at the symptoms first - lights flickering - both dash AND headlights?
If yes, then measure battery charging voltage across battery posts with a digital multimeter. Voltage reading will follow the "flickering" of the lights.

With the same thought, if the headlamps are flickering and the DMM reading is changing, and its right after an engine start-up, it could be the voltage regulator. You've taken and place a heavy discharge on the battery using the starter - normal condition. After the engine is running and alternator is working, the voltage regulator regulates the amount of work the alternator does. If too much work, then volt reg will turn off the alt and then turn it back on - the flickering you see in the lights. Once the battery has been recharged to a level acceptable by the volt reg, then alt will work full time. Mechanical parts do wear out, replacing the volt reg with an electronic type will alleviate this problem. It is a simple swapout - remove the ground cable from battery, unplug the regulator, unbolt the regulator, bolt new one in to its place, plug in and recable - done.

However, the first item you should check before doing anything is to check the belt tightness. In the middle of the longest run of the belt between two pulleys, the crankshaft pulley and alt pulley, there should be maximum of 1/2 inch of total deflection. If more than this, tighen belt. If side surfaces of belt are glazed, cracked, or the belt as a whole is torn, then replace the belt and retension the belt after running the new one for about 20 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts