Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new weird electrical issue. It all began as soon as I got my car back from a shop that changed my head gaskets. When I start my car my lights are very dim, my voltage meter, in the car, is at the end of the red, below 13 V. When I rev up to say 1150 rpm the voltage rises and the headlights brighten. I also got a new P0151 code to go along with this issue.

I'm guessing a ground or something got messed up somewhere but I have no idea where I would begin looking. Any ideas?

I had the charging system testing since getting the car back, originally they said my battery had low cranking amps, so I replaced the battery. I have taken it to get tested again and they say that everything is fine. I replaced all the O2 sensors a few months back and I just replaced the right pre-cat O2 today to see if the sensor was in fact bad, which I doubted, and the code came right back, so I'm pretty sure they are related.

Please help! Thanks all!

·
15,370 Posts
The shop pinched a wire or wires, or damaged a connection on the bank 2 side. It could be either a ground or a signal wire(s).
Since they did head work, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Sounds more like a charging wire\starter wire by the sounds of the symptoms.
What type of vehicle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 1998 camaro v6 3800 Series II.

There is a wire harness that runs behind and on top of the block that the O2 sensor wire goes into and a single wire from the alternator. I would think maybe they have a common ground and that maybe the problem, but I cannot find a ground that goes to the block, just grounds at various locations like the strut tower area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts