Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 convertible and Im having an issue with the turn signals lites not working properly. When I pull the lite switch on the signal markers in the dash lite up and dim with the dimmer control. Also the fuel gauge loses power with lites on. I have changed the circuit board and installed all new bulbs in the dash. Im thinking maybe the problem is with the lite switch. Has anyone seen this problem??

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
239 Posts
This sounds like a dash grounding problem. I assume all the exterior lights work OK. There is a bare wire that goes from the back of the cluster to the hi beam indicator to the center upper screw of the panel that grounds the instrument panel. It's common to have a bad connection at the screw.

Mine got to be such a problem I replaced it with a wire grounded to the steering column support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did unscrew at both ends of the wire and it appeared to look ok, but I was not aware that it needed to be grounded to the column. Yes, the exterior lites work fine except the turn signals work very slow and with lites turned on they do not work at all.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
This is very typical, happens a lot. There is a metal strap that runs from the back of the dash cluster to the high beam indicator, then a second metal peice from the high beam indicator to the top center screw that holds the cluster to the dash.

It could be as simple as needing to scrape some paint off the dash where the center screw goes in.

Also, the high beam indicator must be assembled as follows:
red lens first, then the 2 ground straps, then the bulb holder.

If the lens is put on between the 2 straps you won't get a good ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im missing the metal strap that connects the high beam indicator to the screw that connects the dash panel. No wonder it not working correctly.
Also, I must be missing some parts because the high beam socket fits loose in the panel. I don't remember seeing a red lens or a second ground strap.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts