Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1987 Z-28, 5.0L 305-v8, have replaced all sensors and the computer. The engine seems to run fine. The car has a voltage/electrical type problem. No codes in computer, no codes on diagnostics machine, and have been told that the alternator was okay. It lopes at idle, and at speed. I have replaced almost everything for the timing, and still cannot solve this problem. The car dies and when tried to be restarted, no electrical power. I checked gauges for shorts, nothing. The starter is fine, and does not appear to be bad. I have replaced the command module, distributor-twice now. Anyone with any ideas to find a solution, please help. The battery has been drained once, and charged...still the problem remains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, don't have any extra stuff in the car. Still stock stereo. It appears that all the power accessories work okay. The way I have known this car to have this problem is that one minute is runs fine, run it for a little while, then it begins its power fluctuation, and then when I turn the car off, it won't restart. These darn electrical problems usually are 1 in a million things that could be the source, but can't seem to even get close.

·
Registered
219 Posts
After the car dies and there is no electrical power, will everything work again when it cools down? If so, then check your positive cable running to the starter. When this gets hot, it loses it's ability to conduct electricity.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would double check and then triple check the battery cables, both the positive and negative, are they loose, are the ends loose on the cables, look there for the no start problem, as far as the engine lope at idle i had a 89 Cavalier, and every time the battery was disconnected i had to go through a process of re-thinking the computer, this may also apply to your buggy.
-Disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.
-reconnect, start engine run at 1000 -1500 rpm, for 1 minute.
-shut engine off, restart let engine idle in gear for at least 5 minutes. shut engine off.
-Make sure all accesories like a.c. are off
i don't know if this is the soulution for your car, but I have told several people with early computer controlled engines this process and they have reported back with good results, it may be worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts