Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my headlights while driving my sound system shorts out. When I brake my sound system also seems to short out. Should I ground my brake lights housings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Check the ground from the battery to the fender. Also check the bonding strap from the subframe to the fender on the passenger side. Sounds like your lights and radio are sharing a ground which they should not - except for the 12" or so of wire between the negative cable and fender.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What do you mean by stereo system? Is it a stock head unit or aftermarket with amps and such? Are you using the stock radio connector for power?

assuming aftermarket.. Sounds like you may have hooked the ground of your system to your lighting circuit. You may have found a wire that was grounded and hooked to it.... but when your lights are on that wire has power on it.

It was very common on mid 80's fords for an installer to hook up to a black/green wire for ground just to find out the car would blow a fuse when the lights were turned on.... turned out that wire wasnt ground, only grounded when the lights were off.

Try to ground the system to the chassis and see if you have the same problem.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts