Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am almost done with the interior panels in my shop and will be doing the electrical next. My question is can I use EMT in this application? I already read the NEC rules for EMT but, they ae not clear. What is "subject to major physical damage"? I don't plan on beating on the conduit with a hammer, there is no heavy equipment driving in the building. I know at work (I'm an industrial electrician/electronic technician), we only use rigid but, the environment is pretty nasty with lots of fork lifts and machinery. I will be welding, grinding, etc.. in the shop, is that the potential for "major physical damage"? I can run rigid but, it will be more time consuming because I don't have the bender and threader at home, that means I will have to run back and forth to work or rent the equipment (if that's possible). This shop is at my home and for personal use.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Royce, EMT should be fine, IMHO. In our shop at work we have all the normal stuff, grinder, welder, drill press, metal workbench, wood work bench for electrial work, etc., all run in thinwall. The boiler, pump stations, air compressors, elevator machine rooms, generator rooms,...and chiller rooms all have EMT....have at it...pictures! Royce! pictures! :)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Royce, the reason the code is vague is pretty much to leave it up to the discretion of the "authority having jurisdiction" or as you and I know them, the inspector.
Basically it would apply to industrial applications, and where it's subject to being smashed for instance by equipment, or corrosion issues. As far as in your garage, basically unless it's on the floor in an area that can be driven on, you are fine. I've installed EMT in industrial places (the paper mill in town for instance, and it's perfectly allowable, usually plant codes will require ridgid conduit before code does.
So the shop is moving along it sounds like :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok since I am the AHJ on this job ;-) for now it shouldn't be a problem getting me to pass it. I just want to make sure in the future I don't have issues. I pretty much read the code as you guys have and thought the same thing but, wanted to make sure.

Yes, the shop is finally moving along. Still haven't moved any equipment in yet but, I hope to in the next 2 weeks. I need to finish the top of two short walls and the ceiling which I will finish this coming weekend. I hope to start pulling wire and laying out my circuits right after that. I'll take some pictures my next day off. It is a bit of a mess but, you'll get the idea. It basically looks like a big paint booth inside since I went with galvanized flat panes for the interior walls. I wanted aluminum but, when I got to the supply yard they didn't have enought sheets (even though they told me on the phone they did). The ceiling will be done in aluminum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Royce~
I asked one of my Union, journeyman electrictians working on one of my jobs in San Francisoo and he said pretty much the same thing as Mike. The only time it would be an issue is when it will be in a high traffic area such as on the floor.:yes:

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Good deal!! I will continue as planned and since I can use EMT things will got a LOT faster.
Royce, as you probably know already, use the steel connectors, the pot metal type are crap...:sad: If the pipe is exposed compression type are the best altho the set screw type proved to perform better in the northridge earthquake...:)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Mike, IMO unfortunately anymore all of them are crap, made in china. I agree the set screw type are probably better in an earthquake, since most the new compression type fit like hell, compared to the stuff we used when I started (which hasn't been that long)
In your Garage though Royce, I agree with Mike, use compression, they just look better if nothing else.
Glad to hear things are coming along for you, summer is just around the corner! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts