Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Pretty much but I usually buy them with the fused battery post and the ground cable.
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Composite material Flooring

Reactions: 57vette

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I run it up and under the back seat and then inside the passenger wiring gutter. I add extra conduit on the cable for protection. I don’t fuse it or use Ford solenoids, just like the OEMs…. :)

Don

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,490 Posts
I run it up and under the back seat and then inside the passenger wiring gutter. I add extra conduit on the cable for protection. I don’t fuse it or use Ford solenoids, just like the OEMs…. :)

Don
Do you use a thru-firewall setup like these or do you pass the positive wire thru a grommeted opening? Techflex covering or something heavier?

Circuit component Auto part Electronic component Cylinder Fashion accessory Auto part Machine Font Engineering Metal

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Do you use a thru-firewall setup like these or do you pass the positive wire thru a grommeted opening? Techflex covering or something heavier?

View attachment 281139 View attachment 281138
I use the thru bulkhead like the one on the left. Just techflex, one or two layers. The insulation on that OEM cable is quite thick.

Im guessing Patrick has some advice to offer here… :)

Don

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,702 Posts
Hey Don, what cars have you gotten the cables from?

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Hey Don, what cars have you gotten the cables from?
Any fifth gen SS etc with a trunk battery. ZL1, Z28. Not the V6 models.

Don

Reactions: 130fe and 57vette

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,426 Posts
I use the thru bulkhead like the one on the left. Just techflex, one or two layers. The insulation on that OEM cable is quite thick.

Im guessing Patrick has some advice to offer here… :)

Don
I used the one on the left as well.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Placing the battery in the trunk provides better weight distribution on the car. The battery should be placed in the center of the trunk directly over the rear axle. This will help the car handle better. My car is a convertible. It is not feasible to mount the battery in this location. The second best place is the passenger side area in the trunk.

I ran a 1/0 cable in conduit. 1/0 cable was selected because it will have slightly less voltage drop compared to the shorter stock cable used with a front mounted battery. I used flex conduit over the wheel house and PVC conduit along the passenger rocker. The red line shows the path in the photo below.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender

The conduit is 1/2" diameter. 3/4" conduit will not fit in the rocker. Make sure the outside diameter of the cable you select will fit inside the conduit hole. What people call 1/0 welding cable will not fit in a 1/2" conduit. I used an industrial type THWN-2 cable that is oil, gas, sunlight resistant. It has a 90 degree Centigrade temperature rating. It is not a fine strand cable so it is stiff. I was able to pull the cable into the conduit by hand. At the other end of the cable there is a mounting insulator on the firewall. The mounting insulator is similar to the ones mentioned in the above posts. A second cable goes from the mounting insulator to the starter. The type of cable will be a SGX cable. 1/0 SGX cable will not fit in a 1/2" conduit but it is flexible. It is specifically designed for use in automotive applications. Notice I used two different types of cable. I used a cable that matches the particular conditions the cable is applied. The photo below shows the start of the cable pull.

Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Plant Bicycle part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

The wire covers and plastic kick panel still fits. No extra holes were drilled except for the hole through the firewall. The quarter panel window still goes up and down.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Mode of transport

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk

This is my rear battery and accessories fully wired. The temporary battery will be replaced with a 78 style battery. A 78 battery will fit in this tight area.

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle

The key disconnect switch provided a post to wire several cables at one point.

Auto part Grass Road surface Metal Revolver

21 - 29 of 29 Posts