Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get this stuff? Can you get it from local sources like auto parts stores, radio shack, etc.?

Going to try to repair my Pertronix ignitor lead wires (if possible) and would like to cover the wire splices with "shrink wrap" for a cleaner look than electrical tape.

·
Registered
993 Posts
yes. i got a kit from jegs that cost under 20 bucks if i remember correctly, but radio shack and some major car parts stores carry them. a small butane torch will work great with them, too.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Anyone know where to get this stuff? Can you get it from local sources like auto parts stores, radio shack, etc.?

Going to try to repair my Pertronix ignitor lead wires (if possible) and would like to cover the wire splices with "shrink wrap" for a cleaner look than electrical tape.
If you're looking for the best quality heat shrink try an aeromotive distributor ..... perhaps Van Dusen? The best stuff looks more like rubber and less like plastic. A heat gun works well to shrink it.

ZAPPER

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
you can get some basic stuff at radio shack or most hardware stores.

I found some really good stuff (plus a lot of other stuff) at cableorganizer.com
Thiere shrink tubing is much thiiner walled than the radio shack variety, and shrinks 4:1!

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Try any electronics store dealing in commerical electronics parts. Radio Shack is limited.

As JimM says, there are various grades of shrink tubing, from the typical 2:1 thin wall to adhesive added for water proofing and shrink sizes up to 10:1.

Shrink size, for example, 2:1, 1/2 inch will shrink to 1/4 inch, etc. 3:1, 1 inch to 5/16 inch, 4:1, 1 inch to 1/4 inch, 10:1, 10 inches to 1 inch.

I usually get 3/8 & 1/2 inch (unshrunk) to cover most vehicle applications.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Granny, surely OKC has at least one electronic supply place (not Radio Sheeaack). They should have 3M heat shrink in something like 3 foot lengths for a couple-three bucks. You can buy precut tubing from RS, but you'll get less for your $. Check your yellow pages for electronic supplies.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

I did find some red colored heat shrink tubing at an Autozone. I was able to solder new lead wiring on to my Pertronix ignitor unit and then cover it with the shrink wrap.

Shrink wrap rocks! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
FYI, if you don't have a heat gun handy, or are in a place where all that hot air can be bad, a quick couple passes of the tubing under a lighter works great. Just don't hold it over the flame too long so that it melts.

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
I heat shrunk all my heater/radiator hoes....
These gig items, using a torch /heatgun etc it was difficult yo get an even shrink

So when the wife wasnt home I used the oven on fan bake...but had to suspend the hoses so they did not touch anything inside the oven because that made holes

If or when I do it again Im going to try the rotissary in the lpg barbque

I used aviation grade shrink.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I heat shrunk all my heater/radiator hoes...
Steps:

I bet there would be a market for Shrink Wrapped Ends for Heater and Rad Hoses either Heat or say Catalyst activated. You would have to replace it every time you removed a hose; say off a Rad Outlet but it would eliminate those UGLY Hose Clamps which seem to get the way of wrenches and collect dirt or rust.

Auto Mfgr's such as Volvo use what appears to me as a Natural or Vinyl Tech Shrink material to construct Hi-Pressure EFI Fuel Systems

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Got this package set from Grainger $70.00

http://www.grainger.com/itemdetail_largepic.html?item=XL-4NU23.JPG

Color Heat Shrink Tubing Kit, Wire Range 30-1 AWG, Standard Length 6 In, Shrink Ratio 2:1, Flexible Polyolefin, Temp Range -55 to 135 C, Voltage Rating 600, Color Black, Red, White, Blue, Green, Yellow, Clear, Meets UL File E-39100, CSA 38227, For Cable Splices and Terminations, Wire Harness Covering, Wire Bundling, Component Packaging, Fire-Resistant Covering, Includes (35) 3/32 In Piece/(28) 1/8 In Piece/(21) 3/16 In Piece/(21) 1/4 In Piece/(14) 3/8 In Piece/(14) 1/2 In Piece

1 - 16 of 16 Posts