Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 camaro 350ss. Finally got the dash wired back together, gauges in place and everything looking pretty. Long story short, put the key in the ignition, lights were working, but then suddenly everything shut down. I have no power anywhere. Engine won't start, no lights work. Pulled all the fuses, they looked fine. The next place I was going to check is the fusible link at the horn relay. Does this sound right?? Any other suggestions?
The only problem I have with that theory is that the horn buzzer still works. It is actually the only thing that is still working. Could the fusible link be blown and the buzzer still work?
Also I am not sure what size link I would need to buy to replace mine if it is indeed blown. Also how to replace it? Splice?
Thanks for all your help with past issues guys! I'm sure you all can help me again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Check to make sure the engine-side of the bulkhead connector/ fuse panel is mating tightly with the interior side of the bulkhead connector.

I doubt the fusible link is bad, it is a crimp connection that is waterproof, and 16g wire. If it opened up, you would have seen a fair amount of smoke rolling up from that area..

You will now have to break out the Digital Volt Meter, along with the wiring diagram, and see where you are losing 12+.

Make definite sure you have a good ground connection between battery and engine/frame.

Start the meter checks at the battery post, then the junction block behind battery, then buzzer, then fuse block.

Post back your results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I won't have time to work on the car until this weekend, but I'm going to try to find where I'm losing the power with the good old volt meter. I think I'll also replace the horn relay and voltage reg while I'm at it. They look to be the originals, and they are in pretty rough condition.
One question about the voltage reg. I searched th site and found that some people were using the wellsVR715. My local autozone has one. Is this a pretty easy swap, ie plug and play?

·
Super Moderator
32,602 Posts
Plug & play for VR. As mentioned start at battery junction block and work your way to the firewall.
Take all connections off and wire brush both terminals and what terminals attach. lay upon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I started at the battery. Disconnected and cleaned all the connections. Installed a new VR and horn relay. Got everything hooked back up and when I reconnected the battery I did fry a fusible link. Big puff of smoke from the red wire (with the fusible link) in the four wire plug in the VR. The only thing I can think of is that I did not have the VR properly grounded.
Now I'm stumped. I'm not sure how to reconnect that wire to the plug.
I'm about ready to rewire the entire car with a harness from AAW. With all the monkeying around I've done with this electrical system I could have done that twice already.

·
Super Moderator
32,602 Posts
If the fusible link did its job, then the car has a power lead in the wrong place.
You might get a test light and place it in series with a battery cable after replacing the fusible link.
If there is a path for current to flow, the light will shine its brightest, but not burn out.
This way, you can pull fuses, unplug circuits, and the like until the bulb goes out.
The last item pulled causing the light to go out, is the problem circuit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the classic update kit from AAW. The more I though about it the more it made sense to make the switch. The original harness was in such poor shape I think I'll be better off in the long run then trying to salvage the old harness.
Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll need some more when the new harness gets here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts