Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking about posting this for a while. i think the members here are compassionate people. after reading post after post about the hard times and good times people have, and the reactions of the members here, i know this place is like a family.:)

getting to the point, i have struggled with weight issues for a long time. i am not happy with my current weight. i am 6'1" and just hit 240 lbs. :mad:
it is getting uncomfortable to do anything. i have a 3 year old boy and i can only play for so long before i am just out of enegry. thats not fair to him. i also have another baby on the way due in august. i dont like being like this. i have lost the weight before, i got down to about 205. that is perfect for my build.

i guess what i am asking is if anyone has a success story about losing weight and how did you do it.

there are so many different professions that come together here, maybe there is a doctor or dietition or someone that can help me get skinny. :yes:

i dont think i am alone here either. surely there are members that are not happy with their current weight. think of it this way, the heavier you are, the slower your camaro will be!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I was always one of those people that never gained weight, no matter what I ate or how much, until I got into my 50's. The metabolism has slowed and I'm just not as active as I was. I don't consider myself obese, but could stand to lose about 15 lbs. (it's all in my gut). My wife and I went to Jamaica 3 yrs ago, so I decided I was going to lose the gut before I went. All I did was cut out desserts and snacks, and just didn't eat real fattening foods, having a salad now and then instead of a steak or a burger. I did go to the gym 4 times a week and walked on the treadmill. Just a fast paced walk on the treadmill for about 3 miles, 4 times a week. I lost 20 lbs. in about 8 weeks!! Went to Jamaica and have'nt been to the gym since. Over the past 3 yrs. I've gained the 15-20 lbs. back.....maybe I just need to take another vacation to get the inspiration back. It can be done with not much effort (for me anyway) you just have to be in the mindset that you are going to do it.

Best of luck with it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Mark, I did the same thing I am 5' 6" and i weighed 175 and i started only eating meats & veggies, no milk or pop,lots of water, water, water, and walking no late nite food after 6:00. I lost 25 lbs. in 3 months. I could of kept it off but got lazy and gained it back.I just started my diet again maybe summer and my camaros will keep me busy enough to get back in shape.Lets do it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Anytime that I've needed to lose weight, I have eaten low carb. I'd like to eat low carb all of the time, but I get lazy. On low carb I have tons of energy, my eyesight improves, I have more stamina, I need less sleep (and sleep better), recover from muscle soreness from excertion quicker, cholesterol drops, heartrate drops, etc. Anyway, low carb works for me.

P.S. When I stop "low carbing" I don't gain all of the weight back as some of the rumors state....That is unless I eat a bunch of crap food which would make me gain weight regardless.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,361 Posts
I've lost 40 lbs. since last May. My incentive was a high a cholesterol problem. I've changed what I eat more than how much. I didn't really eat all that much before I just didn't eat well. Now we use the grill to cook Salmon instead of hot wings (dang I miss those wings), only one Hamburger a week, not much cheese anymore etc. etc. I also had to start working out, lifting some weights, tread mill, sit ups, etc. I'm 53 and really surprised at how much better I feel and how much better I can get around. I can pop right up off the creeper where I used to roll off and grab hold of the car just to get up. And the once 40" waist (tight pants) are now comfortably 36".

I think the hardest part is just getting started. Once you've lost 10 lbs. you tend to get more motivation. And don't be disappointed if your friends and family don't notice the 10lbs. it will take about 20lbs. before they say anything.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
I don't consider myself that overwieght - I'm just to short accourding to all those Height/Weight charts I read ...

My son was @20~30 Lbs overwieght a few years ago and was getting married the following summer, so he decided to go on a "Weight Watchers" program.
The support and program guidelines were an excellent way for him to achieve his goal - and he has been able to keep the weight off after he made his target by continued excercize and following the program eating guidelines.
He still goes to the meeting a few times a month to check up on other members and inspire them to achieve their goals.

You might want to check for a local WW chapter in your neighborhood - they are everywhere and meet different days of the week at different times to suit most everyones schedule.

You wife can help you achieve you goal by studing the guidelines information and then preparing meals to fit them - there are choices for everyone and the amount you eat is more important that what you eat in most cases.

Good luck in getting the extra weight off :yes:

Hope this helps;
John

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I just got back from the Dr. for my quarterly blood work and he weighed me. I am also in shock, being the svelt person I like to think I am (not really). My weight loss trick (and it is always succesful) is:

Get a calorie book and identify those foods you like to eat and eat often. On a sheet of paper, list the foods and recommended serving size as well as the calories per serving. Make columns to keep track of daily intake. One for each, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. List each date. Now, pick a safe and comfortable maximum daily calorie intake. Don't adjust your foods, adjust the serving size. Each day, list the calories you consumed at each meal and total at the end of the day. Keep your intake to the daily max. It takes about a week to get used to the smaller portions but you will. Increase your excersise level (walk more, work out, whatever) a bit. As the time goes by, you will notice you are losing weight. NOW, don't weigh yourself every day or every week. Small losses only discourage you. Weigh in every two weeks or every four weeks. Pick a middle road weight loss (say at 25 lbs.). When you reach that day in your quest, eat what you want, however much you want. Reward yourself. One day only. The next day, back on the diet. You will find the one day "feast" did not increase your weight since you eat less and are full easily. Keep track of each day. I lost 60 lbs., in 1983 by doing this and it took 5 months. I now need to do it again. If you are honest in your intake and stick with it, you quickly become accustomed to the regiment. If you find somethings are just to calorie laden, substitute sugar free or fat free or diatetic if available. If you plan on going out to dinner for an event, save up calories the week before and use them at the event. My daily regiment consisted of 1) a soft boiled egg, one piece of toast (no butter/margarine, and diatetic orange drink. 2) Wendy's hamburger (I was working the street and could not carry a lunch). The burger was a single, mustard only (no calories in mustard). Throw away the top bun and fold the sandwich over. 3) Any dinner item, acording to the serving size. Many times, i could have 2 slices of my favorite pizza, cheese only. Believe me, it works and costs nothing.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all great advice. keep it coming.
last time i lost the weight was before my son was born. i used the south beach diet. cut out the carbs.
i was more active then. i had mobile detailing business.
now i have a retail store and do a lot of sitting around.
i know it is about lifestyle change, but it is hard.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Mark ,Hydrate(Water) water and more water ,thats what my ol high school pal (that is my family doctor tells me) we are to dehydrated as a
society,another words we don't drink enough water, ,he tells me that water is a cure all for most things ,example tired well you are probley dehydrated drink water ,feel hungry 2 to 3 hrs before dinner drink water ,can't go to the bathroom on a reg. schedule ,drink water and so on,people that drink over 8 to 10 glasses of water daily are 50 % less likely to get colon cancer than people that don't.all per my doctor ...Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I hate diets of any kind. Just a gimmick to suck money out of you. What I did was get a book that gave me specifics on what I was sticking in my mouth and tried to make sure I burned off more than I was shoving in. This came about after my heart attack 7 years ago. I still have a weekly splurge but most times it is veggies and some meat with little carbos. Don't rush it as it takes time to change a lifestyle but that is what you have to do. Keep us informed on how you do..we do care.......

·
Registered
544 Posts
5-6 small meals a day. Gallon of water a day. Start out with oatmeal in the morning with a banana, protein drink in the mid morning, fish and veggies for lunch, mid afternoon protein drink, fish for dinner or chicken breast with veggies. No pasta for dinner. Try to stop eating around 6pm. Maybe have afew carrots at night. 30-45 min on treadmill in the morning before food. 30 min. weight lifting in the evening.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I have no problem losing weight, I just always gain it back, and then put on another 10 lbs or so to boot! I'm 5'7" 270 lbs! :eek: I actually work out and play basketball 3 days a week, so my cardio is fine, I just eat like a pig. Water is the key to losing weight, lots of it, all day long, along with the many small meals instead of a couple big ones, keeps the inner fire burning! I hate to say this, but until either me or my wife has a heart attack, we will probably keep growing. Between the two of us, we're 1/4 ton! :angry:

·
Registered
863 Posts
well... I did the Atkins diet..I was 242bl and my size was 42w after. 3 months to the day I was 187bl and size 34w :) It works!!! Just dont't eat carbs.. Your cholesterol will go down, your blood pressure will be low, and no sugar problems..Just the other day @ the local news,they said that the Atkins Diet is the best thing you can do for your body.. Nick

·
Registered
863 Posts
According to the news....They did a study on 1000 people and that was the results.... on the other hand, I'm the proof. :) :yes:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
mark,
as you read thru all these great suggestions and with all that we are bombarded with thru the media on weight loss, every system works with one thing....excercise. every pill sold, every diet plan advertised has a disclaimer that states "when accompanied by a daily excercise routine". in its simplest form, burn off more then you take in. drink lots of water and excercise, excercise, excercise!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Low carb does work, but it's almost impossible to stay on it long term. I've lost over 30 lbs on it several times, but then gained back 50!
You know I've never found a "diet" that I could stay on long term.....That's all me though, I just get lazy and want to eat whatever is around or some junk food. I usually do low carb stints of six to eight months and then fall off the wagon because it's hard to eat low carb when I'm surrounded by high carb crap. It would be no different on any other diet. When I fall off the wagon I usually try and keep my portions small and I don't put the weight back on, that is unless I start over eating junk.

According to the news....They did a study on 1000 people and that was the results.... on the other hand, I'm the proof. :) :yes:
I'm with you, I know it works and the health benefits are great!!!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I am 5' 8" and weigh 210 lbs now due to winter and lack of activity. I was at 230 lbs before I went in the hospital back in Sept. In there a few weeks, I went down to 200 lbs. To maintain that weight, I ate oatmeal w/fresh fruit for breakfast , a Special K snack bar at 10 am, a chicken wrap (wheat) sandwich w/lettuce and low cal ranch dressing for lunch. A salad for 3 pm snack and a Smart Ones meal for supper. Stir fry veggies with chicken is great too.

Remember;
No white bread only wheat
No pasta except wheat pasta
No sugar use splenda
No soda or pop drink flavored water or Crystal Lite
No cheeze ( don't try low fat :( )
No coffee or 1 to 2 cups a day.
No red meats use ground chicken for hamburg
No hot dogs use turkey dogs (wheat rolls)
No hamburgers use turkey burgers (wheat buns)

I maintained 200 lb level for 3 months and gained back 10 since after thanksgiving.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.