Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I adjusted my rear brakes and I was testing my emergency brake, it seemed to barely grab with the pedal to the floor. The E-brake does work, just enough to stop the car from rolling down the driveway when it's in neutral.

I looked at the adjuster for the cable and it's got no more threads left to make it tighter. The cable junction it right at the top of the threaded bolt.

Is there a way to add a spacer to the threaded bolt or draw the cable tighter?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
32,355 Posts
Add a length of tubing between the nut and U, or a flea market deep socket.

·
Super Moderator
32,355 Posts
Forgot in adding the previous step to the above post.
Ensure the rear brakes are adjusted correctly first, then adjust parking brake.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Your brakes must be waaaaaaay out of adjustment. The adjuster should show 3/8 to 5/8, more or less, of threads. Do you have the original 9 1/2 inch drums?

·
10,144 Posts
H1300-2 | CARLSON H1300-2 Parking Brake Cable Shortener
make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted. Another option is to make a shorter support rod that hooks into the frame rail for the right hand side. These rods are not mild steel, probably 1045 "plow" steel, which is what your steering linkage is made of.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
You do have the hooked "guide bar" in place on the passenger side?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Add a length of tubing between the nut and U, or a flea market deep socket.
Not sure what you mean by your statement. My threaded adjustment bolt has the U and nut done right up to the top of the adjuster. If I add tubing between the U and the top nut that moved the U down the threaded adjuster towards the exhaust, doesn't doing that loosen the cable?

Thanks

·
13,872 Posts
Take the U and both nuts off the cable. Install the U then the spacer followed by the nut. Add the other nut a a jamb nut. This will push the U down onto the cable past the threaded portion.

Like others mentioned check the adjustment of the rear brakes and verify the self adjusters are working. May just be cable stretch over the years.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update..

I had the car in for an alignment, I mentioned the cable adjustment problem to the mechanic and they made me a shorter hook. The hook they made was about 1-2 inches shorter, they painted the new hook, re-adjusted the cable all for $20.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
update..

I had the car in for an alignment, I mentioned the cable adjustment problem to the mechanic and they made me a shorter hook. The hook they made was about 1-2 inches shorter, they painted the new hook, re-adjusted the cable all for $20.
There are still some great shops out there, ones with great customer service and skilled employees. Shops like that need to be praised like this so others can enjoy the experience and reward the shop with additional business. Maybe you can post the name of the shop for your local Toronto team members to check out next time they need an alignment?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts