Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting to the point of deciding an engine for my 67 vert. Its gonna be a daily driver so im paying attention to fuel economy. Im 100% on a 4L60E for the trans, so at least thats outa the way.

Now for the engine im torn between 2 or 3 choices

Choice 1 is a ram jet 350, from everything ive read its got plenty of power for a daily driver, seems to be a fairly complete system for an efi car, and 5k its a very affordable package.

Choice 2 is a ZZ4 350. Again it seems to have enough power for a daily driver. I'm just not certain if i wanna deal with the loss of fuel economy with a carb. So im wondering how much diference there may be from carb to efi.

Choice 3 is was a T&L 383 aluminuim head motor, but after writing this post Im realizing its overkill and would throw fuel economy out the window.

Id really love to hear thoughts from you guys

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't know anything about the ram jet EFI. That said for daily driver I lean towards EFI over carb. Due to the ability to squeeze more MPG out but also because EFI increases drivability IMO. That is to say, sure you might get a little bit more MPG and may or may not see a change in peak power, but you will get a smoother engine at all RPM/loads and easy starts no matter the temperature/altitude, etc.

Any engine with aftermarket EFI is not going to get great milleage. If you want the best mileage you can get then swaping in a factory EFI motor is best and unfortuneatley LSx is the best bet but the extra cost of that set up will take a long time and miles to make up for in gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
A properly tuned and geared aftermarket efi motor can get great mileage, in fact a properly tuned and geared carbed 383 can too. Mine give me over 20 on the hwy. I'd go with the ramjet. It's been discussed, but I don't recall if it will fit under the hood.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i would go with the efi cause remember the 4l60-e transmission needs computer to work you need tps map spark timing engine load for the trans to work right. i got the zz4 engine a nice powerful engine but dont know gas mileage since car is in body shop still and never drove it down road just in shop parking lot.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My ZZ4 with the hotcam and holley EFI tuned to AFR of 14:1 at cruise and will get anywhere from a high of 18 mpg to a low of 12.5 depending on how hard I drive it. I was a little disapointed on the freeway MPG given that I have a 6 speed and will try and tweak cruising AFR up to 15:1 to see how much that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts