Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 454 is being pulled next week and have new pistons, roller rocker lifters, cam, pushrods and a few other things.
Once rebuilt, should I continue to use regular oil or synthetic oil? Which is better and why ?
Thanks

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Cotton your best bet is to break in the refreshed engine with petroleum oil first. Run it about 500 miles and change out that oil to pull any engine grindings out.
Then another fill of petroleum and new filter for 2000 miles to finalize break in of rings and seats. Then change over to a 100% synthetic oil like Amsoil or Mobile One.
They are the finest lubes you could put in an engine and they help it run cooler, with less friction and longer drain intervals.
Do a search in here and in the Bench section for 'synthetic' and you will have lots to read up on as this topic has been discussed alot already. Searching is the first way to find answers and then asking in the various areas will fine tune what you dont learn in the searches.
Ive used Amsoil since 1975 with excellent results. Feel free to email me direct if you have questions that you cannot find answers for.

------------------
.... Jim aka Click
69RS 350/255 LM1, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White, Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers, am/fm, 3.08 Posi.
A/C, fold down rear seat, Pdb, PS, Cowl Induction, Endura Bumper
My RS.. www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ask your engine builder. This question has been asked several times before. Everyone has their own opinion, but what matters is the opinion of the guy that put the motor together.

My engine builder said he breaks all of his engines in on the dyno using Mobil 1 synthetic and recommends it to his customers. He said modern rings are broken in within seconds of the initial start up.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 01-17-2003).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts