Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 350 back in my 69 Camaro. Should the engine color be Chevy orange or orange-red?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Chevy orange is the standard but it is called a few different things including carousel-red. Engine enamel spray cans such as my personal favorite the Bright Beauty Engine Enamel line from duplicolor calls it Chevrolet orange-red while the rust-oleum family calls it Chevrolet Orange or Chevy Orange.

The Bright Beauty Orange is what I have been using since the late 70's to touch up or whole paint engines. It is rich and covers in two maybe three coats with no streaks and runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts

Chevy Orange example

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used the Duplicolor Engine paint too on mine. I used the Chevy Orange. Turned out pretty nice. Some people said they don't like it, but I thought it was fine. Looks good too! I guess time will tell how it wears, of course on an engine that is only driven in nice weather and 3-4K per year, it won't be too hard on it.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
The Duplicolor and the Bright Beauty lines are similar but different. The BB Engine Enamel line is more old school and lays flat and thick out of the can. The regular Duplicolor line is a bit thinner but it covers well with an extra coat or two. The color is the same on both and I have gone from one line to the other on the same block and not noticed any difference.

The RUST-OLEUM line takes a bit longer to dry between coats but the color is a great match. I use this often too because it is widely available at every Lowes, Home Depot, Orchard and Tractor store nation wide. Dupilcolor and Bright Beauty Engine Enamel is a bit harder to find on the shelves, but widely available on-line.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Don't agonize over the color - the engine plants bought orange paint from TWELVE different suppliers, and re-bid the business every few months to keep the cost in line. I defy anyone to tie a specific color or shade of engine orange to any particular time frame at any engine plant.

Personally, I prefer Quanta Chevy Engine Orange - it's lower gloss than most of the rest of them, many of which are way too shiny. :)

:beers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts