Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS / auto / 396 from a 66ss
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked the car up about 6 months ago and picking through things to upgrade or get closer to proper . Car is a 68 rs that had been big block swapped with a 396 and its apparent the po didn't swap the rad so I just did that and put on a quick dirt track pro mod fan shroud for now . I'm looking at getting the correct shroud but I'm looking for some insight on possible 7 blade fans ( what pitch , diameter ect ) as well as a thermal clutch to run .. what combo do you guys have or suggest. I've been skimming the jegs, summit and npd sites but I think I've burnt my self out lol.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
OER makes stock BB and SB shrouds for the larger 23" stock BB (and SB w/AC) radiator that has the hold down clips on the lower tanks of radiator and is held on with the stock center top bolt. Shrouds are different as the BB are offset about 1" towards the PS (assuming whoever put the 396 in did using the correct BB stands & motor mounts)

I bought the 7 blade (18"??) fan & clutch at NPD but mine is for SB (short WP). IDK if same for 396

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha .. I did replace the rad with a cold case so im running a bit larger now ( yay ) it does seem like the mounts had been swapped since when i look down the center body line the nut for the air cleaner is about 1/2 to the passenger side which at least in my mind seems like it would be correct(ish)

Trying to prep to add a/c as well

So thought about getting the shroud ( 1967-68 Camaro 1968 Nova Big Block Fan Shroud Injection-Molded OER / Manufacturer Part Number: 3945789OER )

The fan I was scoping out is OER 18" 7 Blade Radiator Fan Blade 1967-1979 Camaro 1968-1976 Nova Impala

The clutch is New factory OEM fan clutch that was used with GM # 3947772 fans. This clutch has the correct curved fans on the face and the correct stamped face with spring fan. Clutch has 7 1/4" outside diameter with 2 1/8" bolt patten and 3 1/4" fan bolt pattern. Center to center is approximately 3" tall. This replaced several GM part #'s including 3946050, 3946804, and 342754. GM superseded this fan clutch many years and this is the first production style.
Manufacturer Part Number:
CS5350Z

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I also have a CC radiator, 23" (larger than the 21" SBC) radiator although SBC with AC did come with the 23" size

Sounds like your BB is offset as it should be and the OER shroud you note.

The 7 blade fan should work well with your set up. The fan clutch just needs to have the hole and bolt spacing for the fan you pick. I had to get a new fan clutch when going from my 5 blade to 7 blade as the center large hole in fan was larger on the 7 blade" fan so need the correct fan clutch, just don't have the part # for it but mine is for SB, not sure if BB uses same fan clutch

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea thats been my biggest brain f**k lol .. looking at all the measurements and bolt spacing and openings .. Im hoping to pick this stuff up with in the next coming months so I can get it swapped out and done soon.. Winter will be spend working on interior stuff like wiring and carpet .

Also in regards to cooling - Shortly after swapping the rad I did a coolant flush and refilled with peak final charge and put on the big aluminum shroud and ran it she hold temps nice when driving and stop and go. Last trip out went to a car show thats about 35 mins one direction from my home and hung out for about 2 hours and ran er home and until i had it parked in the street infront of my house to move the truck out of the driveway and open the garage i didnt see temps above 200 , but during that time of sitting the internal gauge read about 230 but the one on the cap of the rad was reading about 210 ish .... Is there anything else i should be looking at ??

I have heard alot of guys bring up timing as well ... I can tell you she starts great every time.. no extended crank , typically hit the key and blip the gas two or 3 times she will crank over about 2 times and fire every time ....

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Common for motor to get hotter after shutting off as no water/coolant is moving nor air going through radiator. Fortunately, what is causing heat, internal combustion, is no longer happening so even though motor is hotter after shutting off, it's not a problem

Only other thing some, including me, people do for cooling system is add the 75 Nova coolant recovery tank in the PS fender. This allows overflow due to heat expansion to go into the recovery tank and then be drawn back into the radiator when it cools just like any modern car. You can keep the radiator completely full vs the 2-3 inches lower on stock set ups, so coolant does not overflow.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess i should have said the car was sitting running...... But I do have a small recovery tank i was thinking about sticking right over in that area as well ... Is there anything in particular i need to do to turn it into a recovery system tho ???? I currently have a mr gasket style 16lb rad cap with the temp gauge in it , will that allow it to be a recovery style
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
396: Did you fabricate that dirt track pro mod fan shroud or is that commercially available?

SoCal: Any suggested vendor for the 75 Nova overfill tank? Any additional hardware needed for install? Any drilling required? I'm also interested to know if the rad cap with the gauge built in can work with the recovery style/overfill tank system.

Thank you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
396: Did you fabricate that dirt track pro mod fan shroud or is that commercially available?

SoCal: Any suggested vendor for the 75 Nova overfill tank? Any additional hardware needed for install? Any drilling required? I'm also interested to know if the rad cap with the gauge built in can work with the recovery style/overfill tank system.

Thank you!
Yea the dirt track pro mod shroud is available at stores. I mean I'm not sure how local to some of you guys it would be. I live just a few minutes from the dirt track so just across town we have a good old fashioned speed shop called East Coast Speed where I picked it up. I thought it would fit better than it does ( I mean all things considered its not horrible lol )
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Fuel tank

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
... Is there anything in particular i need to do to turn it into a recovery system tho ???? I currently have a mr gasket style 16lb rad cap with the temp gauge in it , will that allow it to be a recovery style View attachment 293905
You need a "closed system" cap. IDK if the one with gauge is. It would say on cap (pic)

A "coolant recovery" tank is not the same as a "overflow" tank. Recovery tanks have a pick up tube inside that you keep submerged in coolant so as the radiator coolant expands from heat it goes into the recovery tank. When coolant cools the contraction sucks the coolant from the submerged part of the recovery tank back into the radiator

A "overflow" tank just catches coolant into a tank vs letting it puke on ground but does not have a pick up tube inside it that is submerged

Thank you!
Summit, JEGS, etc will have the tank. You also need to buy the cap for it separate. The radiator caps are available at any auto part store. You need to drill one hole in fender lip to secure the tank. The tank comes with a sheet metal screw

1975 CHEVROLET NOVA OER 551448 OER Radiator Overflow Tanks | Summit Racing

Corded phone Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel Telephone

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also, regarding SoCal's comments above, want to confirm that the same tank could be an overflow tank or a coolant recovery tank. The differences would be the amount of coolant in the system and maybe the pick up tube is longer than the drain tube? It would seem the coolant recovery system would be (a bit?) more effective, since air is not allowed to enter the system, and the radiator would consistently be full.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yea thats been my biggest brain f**k lol .. looking at all the measurements and bolt spacing and openings .. Im hoping to pick this stuff up with in the next coming months so I can get it swapped out and done soon.. Winter will be spend working on interior stuff like wiring and carpet .

Also in regards to cooling - Shortly after swapping the rad I did a coolant flush and refilled with peak final charge and put on the big aluminum shroud and ran it she hold temps nice when driving and stop and go. Last trip out went to a car show thats about 35 mins one direction from my home and hung out for about 2 hours and ran er home and until i had it parked in the street infront of my house to move the truck out of the driveway and open the garage i didnt see temps above 200 , but during that time of sitting the internal gauge read about 230 but the one on the cap of the rad was reading about 210 ish .... Is there anything else i should be looking at ??

I have heard alot of guys bring up timing as well ... I can tell you she starts great every time.. no extended crank , typically hit the key and blip the gas two or 3 times she will crank over about 2 times and fire every time ....
Just my 2 cents, but I think there should be some fan blade pitch outside the shroud, as the factory setup typically is. I don’t know if that’s feasible .

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
No need for a recovery tank if your system is set up the way the factory designed it. None of my 3 BB and 3 SB have cooling issues because they are set up like they should be, including my 69 C-10 427 that I tow a car trailer with and all the cars have AC. Brass/copper radiator, clutch fan positioned correctly with factory shroud. Millions of cars did fine all these years without mods. JMO

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
203 Posts
My OE-style clutch fan setup was a great change from the sh*tty flex-fan I had. I have an SBC.

I concur that the fan is not fully shrouded. It sticks out about half its thickness past the shroud.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Also, I switched from a Heavy-duty Clutch to a Severe-Duty. He has run nice and cool for several years, now - with no weirdness in the temps.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No need for a recovery tank if your system is set up the way the factory designed it. None of my 3 BB and 3 SB have cooling issues because they are set up like they should be, including my 69 C-10 427 that I tow a car trailer with and all the cars have AC. Brass/copper radiator, clutch fan positioned correctly with factory shroud. Millions of cars did fine all these years without mods. JMO
Yaaaaaayyy You... Some of us like to "mod" our cars.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Coolant recovery systems, IMHO, are better as the allow the cooling system to be completely full and operate like any modern car. My primary purpose was to comply with NHRA rules so I can run at the track...but you just need an "overflow" tank for that.

To me the Nova tank looks like it belongs and is a very simple install. With this said a good functioning stock radiator, shroud with mechanical fan and clutch set 1/2 in/out of the shroud should keep a 1st gen operating at normal temps......but the recovery tank keeps it from pissing coolant that expands off the ground and in the system

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just my 2 cents, but I think there should be some fan blade pitch outside the shroud, as the factory setup typically is. I don’t know if that’s feasible .
roger that.. Im actually going to switch to the oe style shroud so it will cut down on the bulk of the tunnell and once i get the fan clutch on it should bring it back to that leasing edge ( im hoping .... )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My OE-style clutch fan setup was a great change from the sh*tty flex-fan I had. I have an SBC.

I concur that the fan is not fully shrouded. It sticks out about half its thickness past the shroud.
View attachment 294011
Also, I switched from a Heavy-duty Clutch to a Severe-Duty. He has run nice and cool for several years, now - with no weirdness in the temps.
Thats what im looking for right there .... Really hoping the oe style shroud and clutch will give me the correct depths .. When I got the car it still had the sb rad in it and idk what shroud it was but it was all sorts of chopped up and I ended up running it with out one at all for a little bit but wanted to grab something off the shelf at the speed shop near me and get it on to see if it helped at all , currently just the mech fan , no clutch but they have one hell of a snout on the pulley to push the fan closer to the rad side of things that I can not wait to get tf out of there ... Working on piecing it all together over the next few months but just started a new job and want to get some $$$$ set aside so I can do it all at once.. So window shopping like crazy and trying to find the best setup so that I can just spend the money once at this point ( i know good luck with that lol ) ..

Thanks again to everyone for their input . I know theres probably a milllion other threads about the same thing but they are all a little different and didnt want to be accused of thread highjacking again lmaooo....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts