Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy the right front light harness for my 67 camaro STD 8cyl with warning lights. The only snag is my alternator is on the passenger side, the harness from classic industries is for Alternators on the drivers side and will not reach to the passenger side.
I found a harness at "Classic Parts.com", and it list a Std version with warning lights, a std version with warning lights with drivers side internal regulated alternator, and one with passenger side internal regulated alternator.
This terminology confused me, how do I find out if my alternator is internal regulated??
The connections on the STD version has the correct plugs.
I have a double plastic plug, and one with the rubber boot and circular washer connector.
Can anybody help me.
The alternator is from AC Delco..has these numbers : 19135668 334-2110 06054 on the label, and stamped 00604045
Thanks
Barry

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, Upon researching the web, it appears that I have an external regulated alternator, since i have a voltage regulator mounted on the radiator support, and I have the three wire with the plug blades going l l , instead of --.
Now the question is does anyone know where I can find a harness with long enough wiring to connect to the passenger side alternator, or do I have to splice the wires and extend them
Barry

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
You want a "Front Light Harness", not an engine harness.

American Auto Wire makes what you want but for an internally regulated 10si or 12si alternator. A 10si or 12si is a good upgrade, essentially a bolt in, and not terribly expensive - unless you are concerned with originality. http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/front-light-harness-altpi-4955

They would probably make exactly what you want if you want to keep your ext regulated alt, but the internally regulated alternators are just plain better.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So anyways, I guess if I don't want to change my alternator I would have to splice and extend my alternator wires. Good idea, bad idea, any other suggestions

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you the link, that is what I have sitting in my garage, the only problem is the alternator wires are not long enough to reach. My alternator is set up on the passenger side (1969 style). The harness is made for the alternator to be on the drivers side.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes, thank you the link, that is what I have sitting in my garage, the only problem is the alternator wires are not long enough to reach. My alternator is set up on the passenger side (1969 style). The harness is made for the alternator to be on the drivers side.
If I'm reading this correctly...you have the alternator which you want to keep...you have the new wiring harness for a drivers side alternator mount. The easiest thing to do, from my perspective, is to get the drivers side alternator bracket and proper fan belt, and move the alternators physical location. Install the new harness in your possession and you should be good to go! :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
He'll also need to change his water pump but that's the route I'd go. I suspect if you call AAW they can also make a harness for what he wants.

·
14,303 Posts
Just extend the wires. Same gauge wire, solder and heat shrink

·
Registered
15 Posts
These guys have custom harnesses, as well as premade ones that should fit what you want to do. Also, I'd highly recommend that you don't solder, and use crimp connectors. Solder is brittle for automotive applications, and will cause a lot of headaches down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts