Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i had a quick question. I am about to purchase an engine and i dont know much about engine balancing. Well my question is do u have to get the balancing done. Because in order for the engine builders to do that they require me to buy a flexplate and flywheel. So is that purchase pretty much needed for my engine to run at all?Thanks.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
"blueprint and balance" are generally for high rev race engines, or guys who want to run race-ready motors in the street cars. Balancing is not necessary for the average engine rebuild.

·
3,563 Posts
"Balancing is not necessary for the average engine rebuild" ......
This is true if all of the original, stock parts that came with the engine are reused, or if the replacement pistons, rods etc, all weigh exactly the same as the originals.
As soon as you buy a new, lighter piston, or a different crankshaft...all bets are off. The crankshaft is balanced to match the weights of the components that are used with it. The factory actually does a pretty good job. But, most newer replacement pistons are a lot lighter than the factory ones. If you are buying all new parts...crank, rods etc, there is no way I would not buy it as a balanced assembly, or have it balanced after you get it at the balance shop of your choice. Most of the new cranks available...Eagle, Scat etc are only partially balanced from the factory.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree. Pay the extra coin to get it balanced and have the engine live longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts