Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Camaro Convertible SS/RS (non-matching)
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am trying to figure out what engine I have, or at least a little more about it. Alternator is mounted right side valve cover. I don't see anything right in front of valve cover that could be anything like a casting number or stamp. Where else should I look. I saw a website where the stamp could be on the back side near the distributor, but damn, there is NO ROOM to see anything.

Engine is painted blue, just hoping it isn't a ford engine, dist is in back though. No, it is not Pontiac blue, neighbor has a 67 Bird and 68 Goat, so I know the color.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It could be something like this. I have different coil on distributor, but it is HEI similar to the Jegs version. Different valve covers and misc stuff. But, the manifold and carb appear that it could be this one.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/7353K2/10002/-1

Shows 195 hp. So, if this is it, what can be done to improve HP? New block or new heads or both?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
Did you look for a casting number at the drivers side rear (right behind the head)? I don't know anything about crate engines.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Sounds like a targetmaster engine from the 80's-90's. Dealer over the counter engine. Before they called them crate engines. Close to 300 go, but not quite. They had no front stamping.or could be a block that got milled, and painted blue. If it was milled, should see broach marks.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the problem, hard to see behind engine. Not planning on removing engine to find out what it is, YET.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had an 84 El Camino with a "Blue" engine. I am pretty sure it was factory. I don't know what years had this color used. I also know that some were painted black and I believe they were original to the car.

Pictures always help make a guess without the casting numbers and other data.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
There were blue engines in the late 70's - late 80's. Big and small block. El Camino, Malibu, caprice, and trucks. Not uncomon.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an 84 El Camino with a "Blue" engine. I am pretty sure it was factory. I don't know what years had this color used. I also know that some were painted black and I believe they were original to the car.

Pictures always help make a guess without the casting numbers and other data.
Will snap a couple pic tonight and upload. Then, with that feedback, I will upload more

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based of Garth's suggestion, I stock phone behind drivers valve cover and started snapping shots. This is what I got:
So,
3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Up in the air. That is not a Chevrolet blue. Looks like a ford blue. The chevy blue would be between that color and a Pontiac blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is a ford engine, just not a factory Chevrolet blue. I would bet on it being a 350 though just in the number of them made.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
I think that particular shade of blue is a special blend used exclusively by Chip Foose.... >:)

Don

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
The casting date is behind the distributor. How 'bout a pic of what ever is in front of the passenger side head ? There should be a pad there for a stamp.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The casting date is behind the distributor. How 'bout a pic of what ever is in front of the passenger side head ? There should be a pad there for a stamp.
Behind distributor/passenger side first pic, looks like A28. So, is that 1/2/78? Stamp on passenger head pad, smooth as a babies....

So, looking around, looks like it could be anywhere from 190hp to 370hp. I am betting 190ish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
Casting date looks like A 28 3.
Jan 28, 1973
That front pad would need to be cleaned off better to see any stamping.

3970010 is a common Chevrolet Block. Most likely it a 350. Wouldn't know unless you can see the rear crankshaft flange or pull the pan. Pull a valve cover and see what casting the heads are. OR take a pic of the front of the head.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
wiped pad on passenger side and still see nada. Pic of driver's head, the passenger is covered with alternator. Update, saw faint markings, so I cleaned and re-posted - 0 2 6

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
Dunno what the stamped 026 is. The casting number and date code are under valve cover, covered in oil.:)

Really should remove the alternator so you can easily strip the paint off the pad. If there's a stamp, it may be very faint and covered with paint. Use lacquer thinner and maybe a scotchbrite pad. Don't use sandpaper or anything too abrasive.

And listen to Jonesy.:thumbsup: It's definitely a '73 vintage block, most likely was(originally) a 350, could've been a 400 I guess ? Not real familiar here.

EDIT; looking closer at the block casting date, I'm not sure that's a 3 at the end ? I'd still listen to Jonesy, though.:)

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Head identification looks like 041's ???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts