Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, looking at a 350 engine that is suppose to be a 1967 350 engine, but the block stamping is a puzzle and can't find it anyplace. the Vin is 7N163718, but the engine plant is VI228MS . What does the I represent? The block is correct for a 1967 327/350 engine. Did the 350 have the double hump heads. casting 462 dated L216
Thank You
Charles

·
Registered
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes MS = 67 350. The V says that is came from the Flint Michigan motor plant. I is actually a 1 so you motor was stamped (installed) 12/28 or December 28th.
I am not sure if what the production dates of the double hump heads was. The cast date of L216. Was made on Dec 21 of 66. Everything looks correct. 462 is for 67.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure is a funny looking 1. Completely different from the 1 in the vin number. Number stamped is definitely a I, but maybe didn't have a 1 stamp at the time?? All the other numbers correct for 1967 350, just that the Letter I instead of a number had me puzzled
Thank You
Charles

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 1967 RS/SS (11A) production date has the Crankcase breather in the block behind the distributor, as well as the PCV valve in the oil filler neck. I believe this is another indicator of an early 67. Does anyone know the approximate date of the change to PCV in the valve covers ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you look in the AIM, you will see they actually offered several PCV configurations - yours is the closed system which was primarily used for California vehicles. I am unsure of the dates, but both styles were used for several years. FWIW

·
Premium Member
19,845 Posts
My 1967 RS/SS (11A) production date has the Crankcase breather in the block behind the distributor, as well as the PCV valve in the oil filler neck. I believe this is another indicator of an early 67. Does anyone know the approximate date of the change to PCV in the valve covers ?
Randy I don't believe the 67s had a PCV in the valve covers. Your car sounds like a L/LA car with a closed ventilation system.

My car was N/Norwood car, Jan. 67 build, with an open ventilation system that feeds into the front of the carb. Open meaning the oil fill cap is vented.

Roger

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Yes MS = 67 350. The V says that is came from the Flint Michigan motor plant. I is actually a 1 so you motor was stamped (installed) 12/28 or December 28th.
I am not sure if what the production dates of the double hump heads was. The cast date of L216. Was made on Dec 21 of 66. Everything looks correct. 462 is for 67.

To clarify, the engine assembly stamp (VI228MS in this case) denotes the engine plant, engine assembly date, and application, not when it was installed in the car. Only the partial VIN was stamped at the Chevrolet assembly plants, and just for the higher performance engines in 1967. The L48s did not have a PCV valve in the valve covers in 67. The MS application code also indicates the car was not A.I.R. or K19 "smog" equipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts