Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound like a really bonehead question but what the heck. My LS3 engine from Turnkey came essentially completely assembled included front serpentine set up. I really don't want to disassemble anything if I don't have to (accessory drive, intake manifold) so my question is this:

Are the exhaust manifold bolt holes sufficient for lifting? I have a leveling rig with four chains which would allow me to connect to the sides of the engine rather than the front and rear of the heads. I would need to build some angled mounting bars to keep the chains away from my valve covers but it seems like this would work.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
the center has no weight. just for safety. I bought the strap in one length and cut it to my liking. then folded the ends and used split rivets and washers to hold it
I heated a bolt to melt the strap to the size hole I wanted

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the center has no weight. just for safety. I bought the strap in one length and cut it to my liking. then folded the ends and used split rivets and washers to hold it
I heated a bolt to melt the strap to the size hole I wanted
That was pretty clever and did the job. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be fine. Macs lift plate does the same thing. Pic here.

Engine Lift Adapter Plate for the Mac's PiVOT

Don
Thanks for confirming Don. I assumed so but it's nice to have confirmation. That lifting plate would be nice if I did more than one engine every ten years. I am thinking I'll just bend up some 1/4" strap to keep the chains away from aluminum and connect to the 1,7,2 and 8 exhaust ports.

·
14,275 Posts
Just to mention with the serp system installed it can be a bit harder to get the engine set with limited clearance at the core support.

I install the front drive on the engine with it on the engine stand and then remove it before dropping the engine in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to mention with the serp system installed it can be a bit harder to get the engine set with limited clearance at the core support.

I install the front drive on the engine with it on the engine stand and then remove it before dropping the engine in the car.
I wondered about that. I am going to drop just the engine in this weekend to determine if my headers, R & P and harness/relay locations all play nice together so that should give me a better idea when I do the final install with the tranny attached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts