Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting my 68 back together, and I've run into a major problem. The car was originally a manual steering car, and I am installing power steering. The problem is with the engine mounts...every one I have found (the old ones were trashed) is a redesigned version, and does not allow the power steering pump bracket to bolt to the mount. The new design has "tabs" that stick up around the lower bolt hole, and there is no way to mount the bracket there.

Does anyone know where I can find the correct mount? None of the local parts stores carry them, and the one Classic sent me that was "supposed" to be correct is exactly the same as the parts stores mounts. Will I have to modify the new mount by cutting off the offending tab? Will this weaken the mount? HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never seen a power steering pump bracket interfere with the motor mount.
Can you elaborate a bit more on where the problem is with the mounts?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i was a little concerned about the mount issue too, my 68 has all the orig. pulleys and brackets on it for p.s., but i didnt think about the problem youre having untill after i ordered new mounts from energy susp. but when i checked it out, i got lucky! the energy(poly) mounts dont have any lip, and all is ok w/ the bracket, and they look good too. p.s. im not impressed w/ classic at all, i shop elsewhere since my first exp. with them. good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody? The car is ready to go completely back together, but I'm dead in the water until I solve this problem. HELP!

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club

·
10,147 Posts
There are two types of PS brackets. A low perf with a tensioner plate between the motor mount and engine block. A second type used on SS 350 and Z/28 engines uses a tensioner brace that uses one motor mount hole at the upper front corner of the mount and goes over the mount just under the bolt.
I still don't know what your problem is. Can you discribe it better?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
76maro, was my answer not clear, or did i misinterpret youre question? the energy susp. mounts work on my factory p.s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize...I understood your answer perfectly. Just soliciting any other ideas, and trying to stay with factory style rubber mounts if possible. Can you give me a part number and price for the mounts you used in case that turns out to be my only option?

Thanks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts