Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I determine if the correct Z28 mounts have been installed in this car? Is there a measurement I can take, or some other method of identifying the mounts used, both engine and frame?

Thank you.

paul

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The 1969 engine mounts for a 302/350 are the tall and narrow, interlocking mounts. The frame stands are easily identified by the 4 divets punched in the top of each stand.

·
Super Moderator
32,786 Posts
With above suggestions, you should see a quarter coin clearance between balancer and sway bar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From Camaro Research Group (Camaros.org):

Differences in V8 Frame Mount Brackets and Engine Mounts
All '67-'68 small-block (SB) and '69 307ci and 327ci engines used the same frame mount bracket (approximately 2-1/2 inches wide) attached to the subframe. The 1969 302ci and 350ci engines used a ~3/8 inch shorter and ~1/4 inch narrower bracket. 1967-68 engine mounts will assemble to the 1969 302/350 engine mount bracket, but this is an incorrect assembly that results in driveline vibration and clutch chatter because the engine sits too low and can move on the bracket.

In order to gain engine compartment clearance, big block (BB) engines were offset 1/2 inch to the right (towards the passenger side) by means of asymmetric brackets. 1967-68 BB frame mount brackets are 2-1/2 inches wide (but not the same as SB) and use the same engine mounts as 67-68 302ci and 350ci. For 69, BB frame mount brackets were redesigned to use the new thicker, narrower, engine mount also used by 302ci and 350ci. BBC bracket pairs are easily spotted because the left bracket is noticeably taller than the right in order to achieve the engine offset.

Note that the frame mount brackets and the engine mounts below are grouped together by functionality. The OEM engine mounts may have had different part numbers, but are functionally the same. The original frame mount part numbers are listed.

I added the italics....first paragraph...3/8" shorter bracket...

I'll crawl under the car tonight with a quarter....to see if there is the correct space between the 8" balancer and the sway bar...

paul

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The amount of sway bar clearance is not the same if you have a larger than stock sway bar. You may have to shim the sway bar mounting points down to fit a larger bar. I would recommend about 1/4" clearance depending on the type of material your engine mounts are made of.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Also, don't forget to use the correct transmission mount with the right pedestals and mounts. If the engine gets raised in front, and the trans is sitting too low, the engine will be tilted back closer into the firewall, resulting in closing down firewall to distributor clearances.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
A couple of pics...

This is showing about 1/4" of clearance, after spacers were added.

Here is an example of spacers under the mounts. (I know pretty crude looking spacers were used.)

Here are some different sway bar bushings that can also add some clearance...

·
Registered
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
A real Z28 ought to have deep groove pulleys.....
You are correct Jon, but those pictures are of my car not the OP's. I just added some advice to a very inquired about problem, for our many readers.

If it was for a real Z28 it would not have a 1" sway bar either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
On this car there is 1.25"-1.4" clearance between the sway bar and the 8" balancer. I didn't mic the sway bar but will this evening. I am fairly sure it's 11/16"....sequel: mic'ed the sway bar and it is 11/16".

paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts