Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the engine is a 68' 396 that has been completly gone thru by a machine shop. after getting it fired up i hear a very noticeable knocking or tapping from the drivers side head area. when i rev it up to 2000 rpms it seems to go away? but very prominent at idle. the timing is way to advanced right now but didnt want to mess with it due to maybe something serious. any ideas

------------------

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Sounds like a lifter out of whack, take off the valve cover, see if you can tell which lifter it's coming from. I've always found a short piece of garden hose does the trick, put it up to your ear and place it near each lifter until you figure out which one is ticking. Then, adjust it appropriately. Anyway, this is where I'd start. KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened after I replaced the cam in my engine. About 45 seconds into the cam break-in, a VERY loud ticking sound started. It had me very worried, since I didn't know if one of the new lifters broke, or if there was something oil related since I also replaced the oil pump. I let it run since I was breaking the cam in and it quit after about 5 minutes. If it is a loud, high-pitched ticking, it's probably just a piece of dirt stuck in one of the lifter oil inlet holes so the lifter isn't getting oil and is ticking as the plunger inside hits the bottom of the lifter housing. You could pull the lifters and clean them, or it may go away like mine did.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Until my recent experiences I would have said it has to be a lifter. However, I'm going through stock rocker arms like crazy and they sound a lot like noisy lifters to me except there's a little rod knock-like sound in there too. The noise is most apparent in the 1500+ rpm range and quiets down around 2000 rpm.

Might be something else to check if you have stronger valve springs and an aggressive cam.

Mine are going away soon to be replaced by rollers.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts