Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 67 rs ss 350 that came in a basket with the original numbers matching rebuilt 350. It has a tag says heads not torqued. That's all I know about it except trying to get oil to flow up into both heads is not happening.
I tried for a long time with a drill and the special tool for priming. Plenty oil pressure on the gauge and oil flowing from all rockers on one side and none on the other.
I tried for a long time several times then started rotating the engine but still no oil. I found 2 of the plugs in back of the block around the cam plug to be in too far and I read it was a potential problem so i backed them out even with the one that seemed ok.

Tried again with the drill and still nothing on that one side it's the left side. I am suspecting a cam bearing improperly installed and blocking oil holes. Before I tear the engine apart to get to the cam does anyone have any other ideas to try???
Mike

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Have you tried cranking the engine with the starter ? Try that with a valve cover off and see if oil squirts out of the rocker arms.

Maybe your tool for spinning the oil pump is blocking the oil passage ?

Is it hand-made or did you rent it from an auto parts ?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I had that problem with a tool I made with s screw driver many years ago. I hooked it to the drill, and same as you described. I then took an old distributor, ground the cam gears off, and cut the base so a drill could turn it. It needed to seal on both sides of the cam bearing. It sealed fine with the distributor tool, and primed both sides. Result.... I think its your primer.

·
10,142 Posts
I had that problem with a tool I made with s screw driver many years ago. I hooked it to the drill, and same as you described. I then took an old distributor, ground the cam gears off, and cut the base so a drill could turn it. It needed to seal on both sides of the cam bearing. It sealed fine with the distributor tool, and primed both sides. Result.... I think its your primer.
I agree. The passenger side requires a distributor housing in place or the oil will just flow down the distributor hole in the block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts