Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
Question. I recently purchased and installed a 383 in my 67 convertible camaro. After sorting out all the engine issues, I attempted to drive this thing and it feels as if I'm towing a boat! I goes no where but the engine compression is great, timing and fuel is good. I have a 700r already in there and the only thing I changed was the stock torque converter to a 2800 stall. I'm really frustraited because I can not tell if this thing is slipping or the motor is a dud. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you got a 700-r4 did you hook the cable to the throttle that needs to be hooked up or that trans will be fried in no time or if it is slide it all way back and floor car with it off and it will click into place for a good adjustment.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You should be able to tell if it's slipping if the engine is reving higher than necessary. If you accelerate by applying even throttle does it rev higher and then start to come down as the car gains momentum? What are the symptoms besides feeling like you are towing a boat?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,361 Posts
Is the timing advancing? That in itself will have the affect you’re describing.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
yes total should be in the mid 30s

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The old big-body HEIs advanced the timing a bit too far for a performance engine as it is (~40*). If the weight bushings get worn, they can advance way too far (~48*). In short check the weight bushings.

My uncle in-law used to install a screw in the weight mechanism to ensure the advance was limited to 36* or so on those HEIs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.