Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint my 454 a nice color, not plain old chevy orange and blue. In a car craft they had a dress up article and showed a engine painted in VHT ocean blue and another in dark red. When i called summit they said they had the ocean blue but that it was polyeruthane enamel that isn't for engines, that it would burn off? is this true? why did they paint there engines that color then, does any body know a paint company that makes exotic colors in a spray can, I like that duplicolor ceremicoat, but they don't seem to have any special colors anyway. I would like to use that ocean blue though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had chevy orange mixed for my engine at a automotive paint store and it didn't burn off and I dont think they had high heat mixing colors

·
Registered
503 Posts
The only part of the engine that gets hot enough to burn paint is the exhaust. You can paint an engine with that VHT because it doesnt start to burn off until 350 degrees. Just make sure you have the engine as clean as possible. Any oil or dirt can ruin that paint job because it is harder to adheare than standered engine paint engine paints.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've painted my engines with regular paint before and I never had a problem with the paint baking off but just like Joekool said don't paint the exhaust with it.

[This message has been edited by ryanman250 (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the side of the heads just above the exhaust ports and below the valve cover? Doesn' that get pretty hot?

·
Registered
579 Posts
We do streetrods and customs at work,and we paint the blocks mostly to match the body with single stage urethane(dupont chroma-one).Never had a problem,just prep it like you would a car.It shines like a million bucks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! i am going for it, appreciate the helpfull info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts