Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, My 67 Camaro has two main plugs that goes from the firewall side to the fuse box. Engine plug & head light plug. They have a plastic clip top & bottom that hold them in place. On my engine plug the top clip is broke and will not keep it in. Do I have to replace the complete fuse box? Is this clip part of the fuse box. I know 69 has a screw in the middle to hold it in. 67 has the clips. If I keep driving my car, I'm afraid it will vibrate loose. Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
19,678 Posts
Rick can you give us a picture of your problem?

Roger

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Rick,

I also had an issue with a broken lock tab (on the fuse block) that secured the engine wiring harness. I figured it would never be an issue with one tab to hold it. Oh, how WRONG!

I made a bracket that bolts through the two holes in the 'clutch linkage rod block off plate'. I used two 3/8" nuts as spacers on the back side of the bracket, as the fuse block protrudes into the engine compartment. I epoxied the nuts on the back side to reduce my amount of profanities as the spacers fell to the floor several times during install.

I've attached a few photo's of the bracket along with dimensions. The bracket could be easily altered by the builder to secure the other three locking tabs if need be. Please note that the two 3/16" attachment holes are not on the same plane (one is higher by .215").

I've been looking six years now to find an original fuse block with unbroken locking tabs. When I find one, I'll probably pull the engine to freshen the paint, and make a lot more room for dealing with the wiring harness and fuse block change out.

Steve

·
Registered
598 Posts
follow what tri 6 said.I did the same basic thing just not quite as nice but it cant really be seen anyway. 10 years and it still hasn't had a problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to share what I did to fix the broken tab ordeal that plague these cars.
I guess I'm not worthy to be able to post more photos so that part sucks.

I had a broken bottom tab on my bulkhead engine side of the fuse box. I took one look at the old dash speaker, that I had removed and thrown in the junk pile.

Well the bracket is a perfect shape to attach to one of the bolts that comes from the E-Brake mount.
I fed the two plugs through the hole that once had the speaker magnet in it. It fit like it was made for it.
I bent the little tabs slightly to press the back of the plug into the fire wall.

I also put a bead of silicone on the metal, although it doesn't touch any part of the wires. Painted it black and it looks great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts