Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Guys,
I purchased a new GM Performance Parts crate motor LS3, carburated version. I will be installing in soon in my 69 Camaro Pro Touring Project. My question, How do I prime this motor before I start it up for the first time? I called GM Performace tech and they said there is no way, what do you guys say?

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
One of the magazines did this trick to one of their vehicles, Hot Rod, I think. They basically took a 5 gal bucket with lid, bought a SBC oil pump and mounted it the to the lid, drilled and tapped the pump outlet for a hose going from the pump to the block, oil cooler return, I think, and plumbed the oil pan drain back to the bucket and used a drill motor on the pump shaft.

Or, most of them remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over using the starter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi....Ive always removed the dizzy....Then remove the drive gear from an old points dizzy
then install the "old points dizzy" as normal to the motor...Attach an electric drill to the
shaft (where the rotor would normally be) and crank it over....You will know when oil pressure is there as the drill will slow down ALOT.....get someone to watch the gauge and just keep it going until your happy....I would have thought G.M would assemble the motor with more than enough assembly lube/grease so it may not be necessary to prime it.......aslong as it fires and runs straight away
Gav

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts