Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you guys can give some input before I have to take it to a shop. I decided to take the Camaro to work today since it was a nice day. Anyway, the car ran fine all the way to work. At lunch, I tried cranking it and it tried turning over but it wouldn't stay started. I would pump the gas and it would catch 1 time then die out as soon as I let the key go (any longer and the starter grinded). If I start it with the gas pedal all the way down, I get one big rush then it still dies. I checked that I was getting fuel through the filter and at the carb. I even took off the fuel line, put it in a bottle and cranked it to make sure there was enough gas getting through. I took off the brass fitting the fuel line feeds into and found a bent filter and removed it thinking it was the problem. Still wouldn't catch.
I had it towed home and removed the top of the carb to see if the floats were stuck, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I'm at a stand still, so any advice would be appreciated. By the way, the engine is a 327, 4 speed, edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel manual choke carb, air gap intake, and HEI with external coil.
Thanks again. :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Mike...
It sounds more like spark problem than anything. If it stays running with the key on and dies when you let go, the power to the coil/distributor nees checking. You may have it wired through the starter silonoid then back to the coil. Check the wiring first...

Kev

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
You may want to check the timing. I've had my dist. retard itself because the hold down was just a bit loose. Just try to turn it a bit counter clockwise and try to start it. If this is the problem, retime the engine and put a small mark on the dist. base and intake with a black marker incase this happens again. Hope it's as simple to fix as this. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. In fact it was a simple fix. :clonk: I tried starting it again today and this time it stayed started with the key held as far right as it could go. I took out the ignition and one of the wires had come loose. I guess it was barely hanging on. Thanks again, it's good to know you have backup when you can't figure things out on your own. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.