Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know, but I kick myself daily for not buying a Grabber Orange 70 Cyclone Spoiler SCJ429 / 4 speed ..... 6 years ago for $6500. What was I thinking?

I'd say it's worth whatever he will take for it! Have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Not sure! What's the price of pig-iron?:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are a true chevy guy it is only worth what ever you could resell it at. Just kidding, My ford friend says it is around $1000 if in good shape, Too bad it's not a 427 ci.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I know this is going to be a dirty word, and I should not ask it here, but what do you guys think a numbers matching FORD 429 Super Cobra jet engine is worth?
Check out the one on Ebay...$6900 all done up and ready to go.

cap68

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The Lima family of motors don't get a whole lot of respect, but the 429 SCJ is pretty equivalent (in the manufacturers product lineup) to an LS6 454 Chevelle engine. So, to somebody restoring a 70 or 71 FoMoCo product that was or could have been equipped with a 429 SCJ, the value is more like what an LS6 motor is worth to a guy restoring a 70 Chevelle SS.

It's always only worth what someone will pay, but some research on places like ebay completed listings or ads in Hemmings should give an idea what they go for.

It's not scrap, but it's probably not a $10K or $20K motor either.

Just don't come back and ask how to install it into a 1st gen Camaro... I had to endure a thread on hottrodders.com a few years back from a kid wondering if he could put a 426 Hemi elephant in his 69 Camaro that was otherwise all stock. Man that was an ugly thread...

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... what do you guys think a numbers matching FORD 429 Super Cobra jet engine is worth?
Just what do the 'numbers match' :confused:
Is there a car included in this?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the info. I bought the motor a couple years ago from a guy who had it sitting on a engine stand. I paid $800.00 for it complete. I bought the motor to put in my jet boat. After I got the motor home and tore it apart to have it rebuilt I checked the numbers DOOE-R on every part. The block, heads, rods, ets has this number stamped on it.

I put the motor in my boat and have ran it only a couple of times, but I'm considering selling the boat to finish my 1969 Camaro project. I don't know if it would be better to sell the motor separate, or with the boat. That's why I asked what you guys thought the motor would be worth. When I get home from work I'll post some pics of the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts