Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a used run stand but can't find one. I found several sources for new ones but they were either stupidly over priced or flimsy and poorly designed. I decided I'm going to build my own. I put together a small material list and started on it this weekend.

So far I have just over $100.00 in steel and $50.00 in casters. I'm going to use the radiator out of the Camaro since I already planned to switch it out for aluminum. I have gauges and a tach from old projects. All I really need to buy is a master cut off switch, start button and a one gallon fuel cell. I also had leftover aluminum diamond plate that i'm going to build the gauge panel with.

I only build 2 or 3 engines a year so I wanted to be able to break this down so it's not in the way. The bell housing support, radiator/gauge mount and center cross member can be unbolted. Take it easy on my fabrication skills :)

Here are a few progress pics from the weekend. I have the radiator support built but I still need to build the center cross member and front motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I'm in the planning stages of building one too - mainly for a 489 big block I'm putting together for my boat. I'm going to copy the one shown starting with post #45 in this thread. I especially like the way he uses round tubing for the sliders which allow the motor mount supports to swivel and slide front to back so that a variety of engines could be run on it. A buddy also wants to run his Olds 455 on it, so this will come in handy.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136334&showall=1

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the planning stages of building one too - mainly for a 489 big block I'm putting together for my boat. I'm going to copy the one shown starting with post #45 in this thread. I especially like the way he uses round tubing for the sliders which allow the motor mount supports to swivel and slide front to back so that a variety of engines could be run on it. A buddy also wants to run his Olds 455 on it, so this will come in handy.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136334&showall=1
The sliders are a great idea!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made it out to the shop for a few hours Saturday and made some progress. I have the radiator support and gauge panel built, just need some finishing.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Daa-yum that's a nice, clean shop! Mine looks like a haunted house compared to that. Green with envy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time in the shop has been limited lately but I went out and messed with the stand today. I got the radiator mounts done and messed with the gauge mount. Still need to cut holes for the master cutoff, a couple switches and a start button. I wish I had more time

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Daa-yum that's a nice, clean shop! Mine looks like a haunted house compared to that. Green with envy. :thumbsup:
LOL I was thinking the same thing about mine. :D

Time in the shop has been limited lately but I went out and messed with the stand today. I got the radiator mounts done and messed with the gauge mount. Still need to cut holes for the master cutoff, a couple switches and a start button. I wish I had more time.
Still looks like you are making great progress.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate that. My block and rotating assembly will be done Wednesday so my priority is going to be getting that assembled.. I may not get to work on the stand for a few weeks. By that time I will need it for the new motor :) this whole job/career thing is gettin in the way of my fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts