Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built big block finally ready to start up after 6 months since it was built and dyno'd (took a while to put it all together!).
How safe is it to just start it up (with dyno oil/ lube) or should I pull the plugs and crank it without spark to get the oil pressure up?
Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If it's already been broken in on a dyno then you should be fine. Lots of engines sit that long without being fired up. Just start it. It should have oil pressure as soon as it fires.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

My engine builder (in Colorado) suggested turning the whole engine around while it was on it's engine stand...but the shop doing the work for me had already dropped it in and hooked it up...so that was not an option.

I'm being cautious as this stands me in at a lot of $$$, and I'd rather be safe than sorry!...it's a flat tappet cam too (Isky 280-mega), so oil starvation right now could be a nasty surprise!

Don't really want to pull the distributor, so pulling the plugs and cranking without spark seems like some insurance (info I got from Beck Engines start up instructions)...

We'll be firing it up this week, so any other words of encouragement would be great!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
duplicate post

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Well, there's nothing to doing a prelube unless you don't have a hootus for prelubing or don't know how to stab a distributor. If that's the case you are probly better off not pulling the distributor. Getting it back in wrong can cause an engine a fair bit of hell too. But we can walk you through it, or you can do a search and find about 64 million posts on how to put a distributor. If you decide that's the way you want to go.

Pulling the plugs and spinning awhile is better than nothing. It relieves most of the load on the rod bearings and pistons until oil gets moving(which happens pretty quick).

You sure your builder wasn't telling you to manually rotate the engine a few revolutions? That would be a good thing to do too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts