Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you start an engine without having headers on?

Wouldn't be running for more then a minute...:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Not sure how long you will run it or how hot the motor will get, but I look at it this way, cooler air is closer to hot valves and I wonder about warped valves? Just a thought. Might just throw on some old exhaust manifolds to be safe. Yes, its loud. When I was younger and had no sense, I would just watch the fire at the ports, real kool . But 50 years later I think its still kool to stand aside the cars with zoomies too. Not much has changed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dont think its a good idea. I think you want to listen for internal engine noises , rods, lifters ,etc. I dont think I could hear these internal noises without some kind of exaust system. For me, not even a minute. I am assuming this is a new or rebuilt engine.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I was always taught no, but I agree with above it would be loud as hell. Second why would you want to do it anyway?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I dont think you need to buy headers,go to a junk yard and get a set of manifolds or rent some from a gearhead buddy,there are a blue-jillion of those lying around,I've got two sets in my shop,if you were close I'd give you a set for what you're doing

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The old man taught us don't do dat, you'll damage aluminum pistons from sound wave coming back onto it. Which I think is probably wrong BS, but still I don't do dat. The old man was usually almost always right.

I couldn't count the cast iron pistonned engines I've run with no exhaust at all. It is disgustingly loud, but pretty friggin neat too. Old 8 1/2 by 10 Ajax 1 lungers, 567 cu", firing each stroke(2 stroke natgas engine), we were young and more than dumb, thought it was fun to walk the damthings across the shop with a bottle of propane after rebuilding .....bambambambamchchchchchbambamchbabAAAM an inch at a bam. They only weigh 3 or 4 tons.:cool:

Don knows.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I've done it without any problems. As long as you only run it for a minute or so you will be fine. If you need to run it longer I would put the headers on.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, i think ima go junk yard, see what i can salvage! im jsut worried about buying headers and they not clearing my power steering

1 - 11 of 11 Posts