Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my 69 convertible painted next week. I am putting in the big block motor without the tranny (I don't have it yet) for painting.

Do I need to support the motor with anything besides the motor mounts?

If yes, any suggestions how to support it?

Thank you

·
Registered
727 Posts
I cut a 2x4 to length to lay crossways between the fenders just in front of the firewall. I then looped a rope from one side of the 2x4, under the scattershield, and back up to the other side of the 2x4. It wasn't the prettiest contraption to look at, but it worked for me. Good luck. Mike. :beers: :beers:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
yes, absolutely! It will snap the mounts clean off and be resting on the firewall before you turn around. Generally, a floor jack under the oil pan (put a board on top of it so it don't dent the pan) works very well, of course, you can't move the car.

For painting what?
If you're painting the car why not just leave the motor out?

·
3,405 Posts
Artie,
I prefer not to have the engine in the car, have you ever tried to get the over spray off ?? Imposible to wrap it up good enough. but ...... if you want it there, see if a local trans shop will loan, or give you, a junk case. Almost anything will work. Bolt it on and let it sit on the crossmember.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Artie,
I prefer not to have the engine in the car, have you ever tried to get the over spray off ?? Imposible to wrap it up good enough. but ...... if you want it there, see if a local trans shop will loan, or give you, a junk case. Almost anything will work. Bolt it on and let it sit on the crossmember.
I thought it would be easier to get the engine in without any of the panels in and my painter tells me there will be no over spray.

I am going to borrow a tranny for the support.

Here is a pic of the body on a jig to do the bottom and one of the motor.

The body, frame and rear end are all together now, but I haven't taken any photos yet.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have used a piece of angle iron across the frame rails with two long bolts threaded into the block before but if you can get a trans case thats even better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts