Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I thank everyone whose put up with some of my silly questions. I am young and new to the classic car thing, and I know that most of the time, asking is the best way to learn!

My primary question here is: What all would be involved in swapping out the 327 in my 69 with a 350. Probally would be a crate motor. The 327 is not original so I not worried about that aspect.

My car was originally a six, base coupe without very many options at all, would I be correct in assuming that any work I do to better it would increase value? Even if using after market parts?

I would also like to change the 3-speed to four, or 5-speed. Is there a 5, or even 6 speed transmission that can be put in a 69 camaro?

Kinda unrelated but, does anyone know where I can get some 69 camaro seats? Right now my buckets are out of an 80 something mustang and that's just embarrising.

Last question, is there any way to do a spell check on these messages, cause I know I can be pretty bad at spelling?!?!?

I'm planning on doing allot of work on my car in the future and figure I should start researching now to make it easier on my later.

Thanks for any help / advice!

Ohh, one more for you guys. What's the difference between 350, 327, or even a 383? Besides the obvious (cubic inches).

[This message has been edited by 69-327Newbie (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Externally, the small block engines are interchangeable. So the 350 or 383 swap would be a snap from the 327. The tranny issue is not as easy.
The 3 speed is easilly swapped out with a muncie (M20 M21 or M22) An M20 or 21 is readilly available, for realativy short money. The shifter and installation kit will most likely cost more money than the used trans (swap meet item) To go to a five or six speed, that's some money, and will require modification to crossmembers...

As far as the overall worth of the car when done... That's tricky, I figure if it is worth more to you, that's all that matters. Take pride in it.
John

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
By putting on aftermarket parts you won't hurt the value since it's not original to begin with. Keep your old parts though! If i was to do my car over, I would consider finding a smashed 4th gen. car and swapping in the LT-1 or LS-1 and trans. and any other parts you may want. (like seats etc.) The original 69 seats suck!! Look into replacements like Corbeau, Recaro or flo-fit etc. Just my opinion.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
as said before, if you already have a small block in there (327) putting in a 350 or a 383 is no big chore.

Also, I agree about the seats issue. I have a '68 and the factory seats aren't that great... no side support. Take a tight turn and you slide out of the seat. I don't really have lots of advice on what seats are good, but I am considering putting in some "racing seats" from Summit Racing in the future.

The difference between the 327, 350 and 383 are the crankshaft... that is the stroke of the crankshaft. A 327 has a short 3.25'' stroke, meaning that the pistons move up and down a total of 3.25'' in the 4'' bore of the block. The 350 uses a 3.48'' stroke, and the 383 uses a 3.75'' stroke. All use the same 4'' bore.

Generally, the shorter the stroke, the quicker the engine will rev up, but the less torque it will make.

There is no spell checker.
Good luck, always ask first.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good advice for you so far. There's no spell checker on this site, but you can type your message first in a word processor program like MS Word and spell check it, then cut and paste it to here. Sometimes this'll save your message from getting eaten by internet gremlins and having to retype it too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts